Thread: Agastache

Default Agastache

Most of our agastache (hyssop) is ripening it's seed right now so it's a good time to shake the blooms if you want more plants. You can tell if the seed is ready by tipping a bloom into the palm of your hand and seeing if tiny black seeds fall out. You can also save your seed in the refrigerator till spring and seed then. Plants can be divided now or in spring when they start sending out shoots.

If anyone wants seed or plants this fall you can email us at the nursery...
    enchantedforestgardens@gmail.com
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

What's the secret to getting it to sprout and grow? I'm fairly good with growing most things, but have tried to grow hyssop for years without any success. Maybe I should just buy plants.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Default Agastache

Howdy Dragonfly,

It could be that in your climate you aren't getting enough natural stratification from winter temps? Cold temps for a period of time break the seed's dormancy. Agastache does best with moist cold stratification. You can refrigerate the seed in damp spagnum for 30-90 days. If the seeds sprout in the fridge, plant right away. If you have cold enough wet winters, the seed will naturally break dormancy. If you don't want to bother, buy plants as they tend to multiply nicely on their own.

Love your signature!

Mabe
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
    It could be that in your climate you aren't getting enough natural stratification from winter temps?
    Ahhh, that could be it. We don't get much cold weather, usually 2 or 3 significant freezes per season, and usually not much rain until May. I may just buy plants, but I've never been able to find them in this area. There may be a reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
    Love your signature!
    Thanks
    So many weeds.......so little time.