Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

fermentation bubbling?

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BJ 
#1 ·
Started my first batch sunday.

Monday morn saw a patch of foam about 2'' dia with spots of evident yeast activation surrounding.

Monday night checked : top had foam across pail about 3/4'' thick. I've got plastic wrap on top and it dipped down and touched foam. That night i added more nutrient and gave a small roll stir. ( found out i didn't give enough nutrient).

Tuesday night came home smell coming from pail was a strong ferrmentation smell but upon inspection no large amount of foam.... but do have a mild lite bubble. I figure it's still working but is this how it will bubble for the next 2 weeks or should i have a vigerous bubble evedent at the top?

i know the hydrometer should level off later...just worried about a stuck ferment!!!

Am i parinoid?:s

#4 ·
Started my first batch sunday.

Monday morn saw a patch of foam about 2'' dia with spots of evident yeast activation surrounding.
is this how it will bubble for the next 2 weeks or should i have a vigerous bubble evedent at the top?
:s
Mead is nearly impossible to contaminate unless you really have terrible sanitation. Your fermentation may continue to age for several more months, bubbling very slowly. Mead making is best left to the senile, because it is best if rack it next month and forget about it for many tides.

#8 ·
I stopped using straps on my glass 5 gallon carboys. Instead I have been using plastic milk crates under the carboys. The crates have handles molded into the sides which makes picking them up a lot easier and keeps the glass bottom off the tile floor. They are easy to get and even holds a 7 1/2 gallon jug I bought at my local home brew store. I have found that some meads won't bubble fast but finish just fine. If you rack to a glass container you can see the small fermentation bubbles run up the inside of the neck, kinda cool and an easy way to track what is going on. I try to use an air lock or water trap when brewing but have used plastic wrap and a rubber band on some smaller one gallon batches with no problem.

#9 ·
Great idea on the carboys!!! I broke one in a tub and I made it out scratch free thankfully! I dont know about mead but other ferminables will give off some foam at first. I jst did a cider and left the top 1/4 empty just in case. I did an oatmeal stout ale once that foamed and clogged up my bubbler and eventually blew the top off my fermenting bucket!!!! scared me right out of bed and made a big mess to boot. I now try to put something under my bucket or jug to prevent a mess under it and aslo dont fill as high anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.