Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Meat Rabbits

Default Re: Meat Rabbits

Bump

After four years, the city determined I was violating an ordinance with my backyard layers. In Wisconsin we say "Forward!" so it's on to rabbits, as soon as I get a few things organized here. Wondering if anyone has experience with these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_rabbit

Nice looking rabbit, but to small to be considered a meat breed.

We're talking to a coworker about buying all of his cages, which are sized for 4# mini rex. Tans are as big or bigger than cottontails, and you have to cull...

Not that it matters, because once I saw what they ask for breeding stock that option went right out the window. Probably put a door between two small cages for a larger, cheaper breed.

http://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/rab...version-ratio/

How to Calculate the Rabbit Rood Conversion Ratio.
    •Multiply the cost of the rabbit food by the food conversion ratio and you’ll find roughly what it costs to produce a rabbit.
    •If the rabbit food costs $12 a 50 lb bag then it would cost $12/50lbs or $0.24/lbs. If that feed requires 4 lbs to make a pound of rabbit (food conversion ratio) then it would cost 4 x 0.24 or $0.96 to make a pound of rabbit.
    •A rabbit food with a conversion ratio of 3 lbs that cost $0.30 lbs ($15 a 50 lb bag) would only cost you $0.90 to make a pound of rabbit.
    •WHEN CALCULATING THE COST TO RAISE A RABBIT YOU ALSO NEED TO CONSIDER THE MORTALITY RATE! (including the amount of feed they consumed before they died).
    How do you calculate the rabbit food conversion ratio? There are two ways: It can be done on an individual rabbit basis or a “whole barn” basis. Either way you choose to calculate it your number will be unique to your barn/rabbits and the rabbit food you give them as well as the breeding schedule you have them on!
    Last edited by BEES4U; 12-25-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: UPDATED
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

For meat we always raised New Zealand or Californian. Summer 5# feed per pound of meat. The little bunnies you are considering will be a disappointment.

You need to harvest at 8 weeks. Beyond that the meat will become increasingly tougher. The idea of the larger breeds and the reason they are called meat rabbits, is that their young will maximize the yield in weight at 8 weeks. I personally prefer the taste of the California rabbits but the New Zealand's are fine. Both will produce rabbits of about the same size but the California will have just a little better meat to bone mass ratio.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I hunt wild cottontails.

Used to. Had some awesome beagles! It was SO much fun!! Only hunt for a nice view and a good cold stout now a days.....
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Well, we ended up with eleven Florida Whites, temporarily housing them in solid bottomed cages. Drove down to Klubertanz yesterday, starting a bank of seven quonset style cages. Planning on growing oats, corn, and sugar beets this year. Still have to talk to my brother about hay...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345