Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Quick question about Formic Acid Pads

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jams bees 
#1 ·
Are you suppose to use the inner cover when using Formic? Or do you take them out and just use top cover?

#3 ·
I have the spacers under the pads. And I have the shims to keep the pad from getting mashed.
I was just curious if the air flow from the top cover vent would make the formic not work as efficient. The DVD shows no inner being used.

#5 ·
The DVD was very specific. It was free from Mann Lake, no inner cover for ventilation, only bottom entrance, and they duck taped the gaps inbetween the boxes. Also I don't think they used screened bottoms which I have on my hives.

#6 ·
They're shooting for perfect space and, if you can do it, it's worth it. My inner covers had no notch so the ventilation is less than perfect. My first year with formic was a disaster. I think I got the colony too tight. Now, I treat like all other treatments, that being a step along the way of pest management.

#12 ·
As I figured, you only keep the bottom entrance open. The bees are in control of moving the formic fumes around.
By the way the bad hive on day 3 had uncountable amounts of Varroa on the SSB:doh: The formic is working very well and I don't see piles of dead bees so I am happy

#13 ·
As I figured, you only keep the bottom entrance open. The bees are in control of moving the formic fumes around.
By the way the bad hive on day 3 had uncountable amounts of Varroa on the SSB:doh: The formic is working very well and I don't see piles of dead bees so I am happy
I would give that colony a some feeding after you take the FA.

Gilman

#14 ·
Respirator really needed for Formic Acid use in US?

What about respirators used when first putting formic acid pad on? Seems like a requirement in the US but not in Canada. In the US they want you to use a special pesticide respirator- not just a dinky one.

What do folks use or not?

THANKS

#17 ·
I did not use a respirator(Don't tell on me) for my 3 hives.:no: I just held my breath when I was opening the formic and placing it. I did not have any problems with my eyes, nose, or throat.:D And anyone who reads my posts knows I use nirtile latex throw away gloves for inspections.

#18 ·
Seal those hives

According to the manufacturer the hive should be well sealed; no holes or other entrances. This would include the upper entrance on the inner cover. All of the treatments which rely on vaporization, whether thymol based or acid based, count on the bees moving air through the hive to distribute the vapors throughout the hive. Any extra holes reduces the concentration and therefore the efficacy of the treatment.

From the mitegone website;
FOR BEST RESULTS:
· Bottom boards must be solid and drain-holes must be sealed.
· Top entrances and auger holes must be closed. Use carpets or plastic under wooden
inner cover to seal the top.
· Only colonies of the same strength and “housing” can use the same treatment.
· The hive must be full of bees to maintain evaporating temperature and humidity.
· Bees in clusters or four frames of bees in 2 otherwise empty boxes cannot be treated
successfully.
· Move weak colonies into singles or nukes.

from the Mite-Away website;

Seal all holes in the hive except the bottom hive entrance, which needs to be fully open for the entire duration of treatment. Entrance reducers MUST be removed to prevent excessive damage to the colonies. Treat all bee colonies in the apiary at the same time. Allow a minimum of one month between applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.