Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought liquid sugar was the same as sucrose.I don't get any deals on dry sugar other than Costco loads the 2500 lbs pallets onto my truck.In fact they jacked the price up 15% a few weeks back.

hey jim never owned a f-550 but i know quite a few guys that do they love the truck heavy duty can pull like crazy BUT, the fuel milage sucks like 7-9 MPG and they are continuay breaking i know five guys with them and all of them have said that the truck spend more time in the shop than moving bees and very expenive fixes also.
    but that is the fords, i my self am looking at a chevy 550 dont know of any one with those, or the new dodge 550 but i wont be finding any of those used for a while.
    regards Nick

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    hey jim never owned a f-550 but i know quite a few guys that do they love the truck heavy duty can pull like crazy BUT, the fuel milage sucks like 7-9 MPG and they are continuay breaking i know five guys with them and all of them have said that the truck spend more time in the shop than moving bees and very expenive fixes also.
    but that is the fords, i my self am looking at a chevy 550 dont know of any one with those, or the new dodge 550 but i wont be finding any of those used for a while.
    regards Nick
    The 550 and 5500 size truck are the best size for moving bees , without going to a 2 ton. If you are looking for a used one look at an older f-550 with the 7.3 ,the 6.0 had alot of problems. Or look at a f-550 with a v-10.

buy a ford 550......buy a kit for 2,000 for a cummins.....put in a cummins.....now u gotta a truck!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    buy a kit for 2,000 for a cummins.....put in a cummins
    If the kit is $2,000.... do I want to know how much the cummins motor is...

I love my 450 but I have had it stuck way more than I want too. (Could be the driver) I would like to upgrade to a 550 in a few years. 4 wheel drive would be nice too.
    Columbia City, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeekeeping View Post
    I love my 450 but I have had it stuck way more than I want too. (Could be the driver) I would like to upgrade to a 550 in a few years. 4 wheel drive would be nice too.
    If you upgrade to a 550 ,you should consider a larger tire . I replaced mine this year and it makes a huge difference.

How many hives are people able to get on their 450/ 550s?

It depends on the size of the deck and the pallet configuration. Pallets (4 hives) are 33 inches wide and 4 feet long. So on a 12 foot deck you get 4 pallets each side 2 pallets high, 16 pallets or 64 hives. For every extra 3 feet of deck you'll get another 16 hives.

Jean-Marc

Our 550's with a 16 foot deck haul 96 hives heavy or 144 hives lite.That $2000 dollar kit Keith is another $5000 for a decent used cummins motor.

Why not just go with the Dodge then? There must be something wrong with them. Is it because of the lower gross vehicle weight, my buddy in Merced that got a new Dodge this year says it doesn't get much better than his 550 and loaded he doesn't like how it shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBowbee View Post
    Why not just go with the Dodge then? There must be something wrong with them. Is it because of the lower gross vehicle weight, my buddy in Merced that got a new Dodge this year says it doesn't get much better than his 550 and loaded he doesn't like how it shifts.
    What did he get ,the 5500 ?

That is because Dodge is [edit by mod]. I have had way to many troubles with dodge to even bother buying one again. My husband works for Cal fire and they have had massave troubles with the dodges they bought. Try 3 transmissions before the truck even hit 50,000 miles. Them breaking down at the drop of the hat and them leaking through the engine. Dodge is also known for not recalling things. They wont do it if they dont have to. Even though they know it is an inherited problem with that year/make/model etc. They just wont do it. I say Just say no to Dodge lol.

Angi

Oh and as Far as Rain in the Central Valley of Ca They are saying not looking good for Fresno, Madera, Kings area, Mountains maybe and north yes but down here nada.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: profanity
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

cummins engine its self will run forever - yes you may have tranny problems / etc but there is nothing else around nearly as bulletproof -(not commercial myself but I am a diesel mechanic)

Quote Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
    cummins engine its self will run forever - yes you may have tranny problems / etc but there is nothing else around nearly as bulletproof -(not commercial myself but I am a diesel mechanic)
    How are the new Cummins ? I hear the new Dodges are in the shop all the time. Im only trying to do research for a new purchase.

no personal experience but from the word on the street, I would probably wait a few years before buying the new 6.7 cummins. I have not worked on them myself, people around these parts are too cheap to spend that kind of bank it seems. 5.9 12valve is as solid an engine as you will ever find. 24v is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Angi_H View Post
    That is because Dodge is a piec of @#$%. I have had way to many troubles with dodge to even bother buying one again. My husband works for Cal fire and they have had massave troubles with the dodges they bought. Try 3 transmissions before the truck even hit 50,000 miles. .
    Are these automatic transmissions?

I run a 97 dodge 1 ton 5.9 with a five speed standard transmission, I have 300,000 on her now and runs fine.

"works for cal fire" Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
    no personal experience but from the word on the street, I would probably wait a few years before buying the new 6.7 cummins. I have not worked on them myself, people around these parts are too cheap to spend that kind of bank it seems. 5.9 12valve is as solid an engine as you will ever find. 24v is not far behind.
    Sure the 5.9 was a great engine, so was the 7.3 but those days are over. Now we are stuck with these new ones. I hear the new Dodge is having problems ,wich is to bad because the ford is no better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Sure the 5.9 was a great engine, so was the 7.3 but those days are over. Now we are stuck with these new ones..
    Why do you have to buy new?

Never bought a new truck in my life & never paid over $10,000 for one.

I use an FL- 80 freightliner with an 18' bed. With the big tires I can go through anything a F-550 4X4 can while pulling a bobcat. I get 12 miles to the gallon fully loaded and it gross' out at 33,000. I buy new tires when they wear out not when they get hot and blow. It turns the same as the newer wide front F-550. It has an 8.3 litre engine with 270 horse power. Cummins recommends over haul at 1,000,000 miles. I got mine with the 9 speed and 3:73 gears the rear end has an air locker.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast