Default Wax for lip balm questions

My wife is making lip balm. We would like to use our own wax. Do we need to bleach it? If so how is that done?
    Last edited by John Cunningham; 09-26-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: mispelled word
    Married 23 years and still makin honey. www.Johnshoney.com
    John, WA9WJG

I've tried bleaching of some wax I melted from some very old broodcombs with propolis scrapings in it as well. I used Hydrogen Peroxide, but it takes alot of it. I don't know anything about making lip balm so can't comment on whether you need to bleach the wax or not.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default no need to bleach

We make and sell a lot of lip balm and never bleach our wax. We try to use cappings wax or wax that has not had brood in it. We process the wax thru a crock pot and water bath until we get the wax to a nice light color. Since wax is only about 1/4 of the total volume of the lip balm. The other ingredients will lighten it up to a nice almost white color.

I never bleach or alter the wax in any way. I use the same wax I make my candles from. The cappings work very nicely. Besides, my lip balm has a nice pale yellow color. It's also my best seller.
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

Oh, BTW, how do you make lip balm? Please?
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

lip balm? How does one make that, and what do you put it in?
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Wax can be purified with fuller's earth and activated charcoal with industrial pumps and filters but I tend to think having white wax is actually less attractive. As others have mentioned, the cappings wax is pretty wonderful in its own right.

a small batch makes about 6 or 7 tubes: 3 tsp beeswax, 7 tsp almond oil, 1 vitamin E capsule, a few drops of honey, 5 drops of wintergreen essential oil or 4 drops peppermint essential oil. melt wax into oil over very low heat, take off heat, add vit E and honey, when it starts to cool, add essential oil, mix and pour into lip balm tubes or tins