Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Harvest amounts

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Hobie 
#1 ·
I'm curious what have you guys,and gals gotten this year for harvest amounts?
I just finished extracting and got an average of 73.5 Lbs. per hive. A little less than last year but i think pretty good due to the fact I was a little lazy this year and didnt get supers going as soon as I should have.
I hope you all did very well!

#2 ·
I got 22 lbs from one hive. About 2/3 of last year's amount. My other hive went queenless so I left it alone, harvest-wise. After I took the honey from the first one, it, too, lost its queen, and I feel a bit guilty now about robbing them.

#4 ·
here in south central kansas I have started harvesting on my lesser hives so I can feed. A fair amount of honey already has been pulled down into the brood nest. I am seeing about 50 percent less than last fall where I averaged about 80lbs a hive. however I wont know until I pull from my strionger hives. the average may go up. We got killed by lots of rain during the flow. A constant cycle of 3 days of rain 2 days of cloudy over cast weather followed by another 3 days of rain.

#5 ·
Honey harvest is secondary to pollination to me, so I really don't "push" it and harvest only once in the season, even when--as in this year--I probably could have harvested three times. I've been beekeeping for six years and I always seem to average about 30 lbs per hive in both good years and bad.

#7 ·
Six producing hives that I started this year (the rest were too small) from which I pulled a total of 100# of honey in three harvests (early, mid, late).

I have pulled about a half pound of propolis (not to sure what to do with that).

I am still harvesting pollen (got started on that later than I should have) off a single hive that seems to be pulling it in more than the rest. I get a pint jar (unsure of weight) about 4 to 6 days.

I have sold most of the honey...in fact I could have sold three or four times that easily.

Lots of stuff still in bloom still, though I will not harvest again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.