Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Short intro

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Drake 
#1 ·
Hello, my name is Drake Dunivan. I live in League City, TX. I have been interested in getting started into Beekeeping for a long time now, I started gathering my gear and storing it till next spring. Unfortunately, some hurricane named Ike decided to hit the coastal region of TX (more importantly it decided to strike Galveston County fairly hard, League City is in Galveston County).

The gear did not fair well in 100+ mph winds nor the 8ft storm surge from Clear Lake (Clear Lake feeds Galveston Bay), so all my gear that was outside simply vanished. I was practically set for next spring (minus a decapping tool(s) and extractor, etc)

Since, I am not able to replace my gear (and its going to be awhile) I started looking online for forums to gather more information and perhaps share some knowledge (though very limited). Perhaps, within the next year of time, things around here settle down and people rebuild up and I find another job fairly quick (Lost my job cause the storm wiped it out , the storm caused me $3k of my saving funds almost wiping me out (evac, fuel, repairs, etc), and some looters broke in to my house.. yay looters!)

Anyways, I hope it doesn't sound like I am ranting. This just intended to explain what brought me here. Hopefully, I posted int he right forum.

Drake Dunivan

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to be sarcastic,but I would be more worried about my butt than bees.I don!t understand why anyone would live somewhere with the possibility of having the same thing happening next week or next year?Of course the bees might take your mind off of it for a while.Sorry didn!t mean to unload on you I just don!t understand:s

#4 ·
Heh, I was more worried about my butt (and the wife's) then the bees, hence why I evaced and the equipment stayed behind. We only took, my guns, everything in the safe, food, lightweight backpacking gear with food, and three cats (all fit inside a F150 extended cab). We were gone (evaced) for less then 26 hours, and came back to notice house broken into, reloading gear missing, tools missing (mostly blacksmith/forging stuff) and misc electronics.. .was nothing really inside the house to be taken, so no big surprise nothing was missing there)

I live over 20 miles for the coastline, my house faired well in the storm, didn't even lose a shingle! Only damage from the storm was a fence being blown down and hives disappearing with remnants scattered about.

The reason we live here, is because my wife works at Johnson Space Center (aka NASA) and she can't just get up move somewhere else without loosing her job.

Don't feel bad about venting/unloading on me... I felt that I did the same thing on the first post.

drake

#3 ·
Hi Drake
I'm sorry for your losses and the stuff that bad people do when presented with easy pickings.

I hope that you will be able to get on your feet quickly. You'll need to keep your eyes open for bargains. I've had a couple beek friends that say that somebody they were working with found out about their bees and said "Hey, I used to do that and got all this junk that I'll give you for really cheap". (never happened to me yet:cry:)

Hopefully you can keep them in a more protected spot and then have them ratcheted down really well when the next hurricane comes through:( )

Rick

#5 ·
Thanks for the word of encouragement, but we'll have to wait to see what happens, when the community reforms and such. Trying to replace what was stolen vs getting back into bees is going to be a hard... But I am keeping m eyes open, just in case I see something that will get me going with bees again.

drake

#7 ·
Derek, thanks for the information. I may be able to find a local friend with some tools to build one of those, but I have some time before next spring to come up with something. Especially, before my small blackberry brambles bloom again :) I rather go with the 'box' setup if I have an option, but who knows what well actually happen when the time comes.

drake

#8 ·
Drake,you found the right fourm, you can get all kinds of help and info. from alot of knowledgeable beekeepers.Sorry about all your losses,bad enough without having to put up with thieves.My brother-in-law just moved back from florida and some of the stories he told about those storms made me wonder why anyone would put up with that.Glad you and your family are okay,everything else can be replaced,and we will help with bee problems when you get set up.Good luck.

#9 ·
wecome

Hello, my name is Drake Dunivan. I live in League City, TX. I have been interested in getting started into Beekeeping for a long time now...Hopefully, I posted int he right forum. Drake Dunivan
We are glad to have you. Gods speed and good luck. BTY Does the League in League City refer to the old Spanish land system? How about some posters asking people to contact you if they find some funny loookinh wooden boxes?

#10 ·
Srapfe,

No clue about the origin of this towns name (I grew up in Converse/Schertz area NE of San Anontio, TX) Most of the boxes are accounted for (from what i can tell), shreeded and thrown everywhere, The ones I didn't find I can assure they recieved the same harsh treatment that the others recieved.

drake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.