Thread: moving bees

Default moving bees

I have 4 hives which I just started this year from packages. I have placed the hives a little to close to my garden, and have been chased out a few times by the bees. I would like to know if I could move the bees this winter about 50 yards from where they are now and what are the consequences.
    Thanks, Mike

Default moving bees

You could move them now.
    They can be moved a few feet, 3-5', every day or two. Move them a little at a time so that they can orientate.
    Or, if they are strong in population you can make a drift divide so that they can be moved all at one time. (The drift divide could have been done last summer.)
    Good Luck,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I'm not sure what you mean when you say drift divide.

Would you please explain the details of what that means?
    Troy

Default Moving bees

Do you have a friend or family member 5 miles from you that would let you put them at their place for a week or two?Then you could move them back in the location you want them.Less hassel.

I think you could move them in the winter, but the danger is to break the cluster when it is too cold for them to regroup - you could kill a number of them and the queen might be one of the killed. So you'd want to make sure they could reform the cluster if you broke it when bumping or banging the hive during movement.

Maybe if you timed the weather right, you could do it. It never gets cold in in FL, so I don't have the luxury of actually trying this, but if I did - this is what I'd do.

Watch the weather reports - I'd be looking for at least one full day where the high is about 55 or 60, but where it is expected to turn colder. Screen them up after dark one night, and move them in the AM. LEAVE THEM SCREENED. It should be warm enough during the day for them to recluster if a problem, but weather is expected to be colder for the next few days. Just leave them screened in until it turns cold (at least 3 days). Then once it is cold, go open the screen, so that during the next warm spell they can go out.

This way that can reform the cluster, and they've been held inside for long enough, that they'll lose their orientation to the old location. The cold weather will help in this regard.

Here in FL, I'd just move them elsewhere for a week or two, and then move them back to the yard's new location. They wouldn't care a bit if I did that. If you can move them to a distant location, that is the easiest, and most foolproof.
    Troy

Move the 3 strongest hives at dusk. Leave the weakest for one week, then move it at dusk. It will strengthen the weak one and the few left when it is moved will eventually find their home.

couldn't you just move the whole hive as one piece (using one of those lifter gadgets) in the dead of winter when they wouldn't be going outside at all?

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled View Post
    couldn't you just move the whole hive as one piece (using one of those lifter gadgets) in the dead of winter when they wouldn't be going outside at all?

On a cold day if you break the cluster while moving will be equal a death sentence for the hive
    Last edited by riverrat; 09-22-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Stop...you guys are killing me.

Do what Indee says. They will find their hives...its just 50 ft. When they come out in the morning they will re-orient to their new location.

Few feet at a time would work nicely, or wait until night fall and screen them and move them the next morning or that night. Or... wait until Nov and move them.

Default movig em

Do what idee says

Do what iddee says. I've done it myself before, works great.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Default moving bees

Michaelarch,Take my advice only in warm weather,for some reason I didn!t see that you want to do this in the winter[not reading the whole question]Sorry.I!d go with what Iddee says

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF