Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

way too close!!!!

I am feeding my bees with front feeders so I just went out to feed at 8:30 filled one hive ok!! then walked around to the other side to feed the next one 2ft away and OMG I was face to face with a SKUNK!!!!! It looked at me and I him FROZEN I time ,then I run like a mad man faster than humanly possible away WOW that was as close as I ever want to be to a skunk again!!!!!

I'm just surprised that the bees didn't let you know that it was there

Default ?

I think he was eating them!!! dam skunk!Im heading back out with a 22 wish me luck

Default Skunk target

When they stand up on their front legs it's time to fly.

They eat bees by the pound. If you look around you'll find scats of solid bees. Get rid of the bees ( move ) or get rid of the skunkS. They are getting ready for winter and still have plenty of time to get fat at bees expense.

there wont be just one. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

A few aspirin in some eggs will take care of the problem.

Default Skunk control

Skunks love cat tuna or salmon.
    Place some Din Din out in the open for one well placed lead injection.
    I probably should not tell you this. But they also love eggs. I knew of some "old timers" that would give the skunks a free meal of raw eggs and arsenic. That got my attention!
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I at one time, used rolls of wire in front of the hives so they couldn't get to the front of my hives.
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 09-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwyatt View Post
    A few aspirin in some eggs will take care of the problem.
    what? Really? How does that work?
    Let's BEE friends

I shot one just a few nights ago. Dogs barking, geese honking, guinea's going off...

Eldest son comes in and tells me there is a skunk. Went out and watched it try and get in the chicken coop. Put a .22 through the stinkers thinker.

I had a bad encounter with one back about 1980. That was enough for me, thank you.

>>>>what? Really? How does that work?<<<<

About 3 aspirin will send a skunk to never, never land, and they love eggs, as bees4u said.

Default eggs

Well I just went out ad left a treat of 2 eggs and 3 asprins cocktail. nothing to shoot at but I hope the eggs are gone in the a.m. thanks for the help

Default way to close

When I was a kid my dad and uncles told me if I grabed a skunk by the tail and jerked his hind leges off the ground he couldn!t pee on you.I bet that would work not that I ever tried it.

Smile you first

I will leave that to you to try first,and let me know how it goes.by the way what do you do with it once you have it off the ground???

Default what? Really? How does that work?

Aspirin is a blood thinner.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

My Dad worked as a lineman, and he worked with some crazy guys through the years. He was working on a crew back when he was younger with a particularly nutty guy. My dad and the nutty guy sowed some wild oats together, and there are quite a few stories.

One of them is that they were working at night and a skunk came around. One of the old timers told the nutty guy that if he would pick the skunk up by the tail it could not spray. He told the nutty guy to go grab the skunk by the tail and get it out of the worksite. And the nutty guy actually did it.

No need to call Mythbusters. My Dad can assure you that the pick up the skunk by the tail technique does not does NOT work.

a friend of mine got one is his shop one time, he left doors open and all and it wouldn't leave so he shot it in the shop, said when he shot it that thing sprayed and the doors stayed open for a few weeks trying to get the smell out. he said he will never shot one again in a closed building.
    Ted

Default Skunks

The smell up close is nothing like a drive by. Makes your eyes water bad. Can't breathe. OK You win I'm outta here! But the essence is very valuable. Trap skunks and extract w/ hypo.

Default Extract

I got cut off prob Barry couldn't stand the smell! Anyway skunk ext is extremely valuable, used for perfume & other ...things...not illegal...but they are insect eatrs by nature and will do a numbet on your beehives beleive me!

Default Get rid of em

Also I have heard ( you have too ) about concoctions to kill... be careful some are so cruel you really wouldn't do it even to a skunk... Is aspirin 1/2way humane?