Default Chicken stung to death

Our chickens are molting...lots of bare skin. They got under the hives while I was working them and one got nailed enough that she died. No more free range while the hives are in an uproar.

Free range chickens are the best thing since cotton candy. They will keep the wax moths out of the hives better than anything you can use. There were no shb when I had free range chickens, but I would think they would help with them, too. I have never known one to get stung, even when I was robbing them.

The bees just selected dinner for you....thats all.

I had one get stung to death also, this year. Happened while I was taking the supers off. For some reason they chose her out of the entire flock, chased her into the coop too.

DH wants a couple of Guineas. Do they eat wax moths and SHB, too? How about fire ants?

Summer

Guineas are supposed to be even better around the bees than chickens. The chickens love wax moth larvae and their scratching under the hives can't be good for small hive beetles who breed there. Don't know about ants.
    Up until this dead chicken thing, we encouraged them to scratch under the hives. We're all cooling off on the idea a little now.

Quote Originally Posted by peletier View Post
    Guineas are supposed to be...better around...bees than chickens. The chickens love wax moth larvae and...scratching...can't be good for small hive beetles... Don't know about ants...we encouraged them to scratch under the hives. We're...cooling...on the idea...now.
    Banny and game type chickens like... no, need shady places to dust bathe. The domestic chicken is descended from the red jungle fowl, not the red desert fowl. Watch them on hot sunny days,they avoid as much direct sun as possible. Direct, hot, Summer Sun can kill a chicken in five minutes. Why not provide them with a real dusting place. Protection from direct sun, dry sand, and fine hardwood wood ashes work nicely.

Ask any old-timer who grew up in a farm house with cracks in the floor if they could watch the chickens dust bathing under the house while they played in the floor. Chickens get mites too, just like people and bees. Guineas are OK but if you want the eggs you will need a troop of boy scouts an a seeing eye dog to find their nests.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I've seen a chicken eat a bee once or twice over the years and then not look too happy about it, but I never saw one get stung otherwise. Maybe mine are smarter. Mine don't tend to hang around the hives.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF