Hybrid View

Default Formic acid with supers on

I needed to put formic acid on my 5 hives. However it is the beginning of the fall flow and I have 3 to 6 supers on the hives. Will putting the formic acid pads on the top of all these supers do the job or are they too far away from the brood?

I'm asking the question after the fact-

Thanks!
    Tanya

Supers were supposed to come off before treatment.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

O.K. Now I'm confused (or rather just a little more so). I thought that they didn't harm the honey since it is natural in the hives only just stronger.

Locally some of the beekeepers were noticing bee dieoff near their hives and I was seeing a moderate amount of bees walking around my hives- not dieoff though. I thought this was a sign of possible mite infestation.

I will remedy whatever I've done if need bee. There is a flow on...

Thanks!
    Tanya

Exclamation Formic Acid with supers on

Sr Tanya;
    I hate to tell you but you blew it, in the directions for use it tells you that you can put supers on after the 21 day treatment, however on the before treatment it tells you to remove supers before the treatment.
    I don't know if you can feed the honey back to the bees but I wouldn't dare eat it or sell it! (This info is from NOD Miteaway II flyer)
    Last edited by NashBeek; 09-19-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: source of Info

Cal NOD and ask them... because of formic's makeup you might be able to let it air out for a while... give them a call.

I wouldn't have them on at the same time though.... I would pull supers now.... mark the boxes and separate them from any other supers with honey and call.

Toll Free: 1-866-483-2929
    Phone: (613) 398-8422

JoeMcc
    "Slow Down and Taste the Vanilla" - My Grandma

This is really upsetting-- I called and left a message at NOD but they won't be open till Monday.

The pads were given me ( I bought them from someone) and didn't have the instructions. That's what upsets me- I do read instructions and counted on the beek to give me the right info. I even asked if it could be done this way without harming the honey.

Well, live and learn. The pads are coming off and maybe you could let me know if I can use any supers that haven't been filled yet??

Thank you for being upfront with the bad news.

Tanya

Even if you get info from someone other than the maker or distributer it is always good to check the proper protocols. It saves money, time, hassels, and disappointments.
    The honey is not fit for human consumption...live and learn. but you can feed it back to the bees in the spring.

I know this cause last year we used formic for the first time. We pulled all the honey but left the brood chambers full cause well I did not know you could feed at the same time, and i wanted them to have enough food. Well at the end of three weeks i have 1/2 a super of unused honey. I pulled it and fed it in the spring

You need to start feeding with fumagillan B in the sugar water ASAP as well. Sounds like you have some sort of secondary inffection with the bees walking around the hive like they are. I'm guessing nosema of some type. But i am not an inspector. Check for AFB as well with a toothpick...rope test and treat according to directions.

If you have sickness in the hives....fall flow be d@med and get treating to save the hives. Pick what you want. Extra honey, which by the way you need to wait a few days to put supers back on, or treat the bees to get them through the winter healthy...Extra money with honey or dead bees in the spring and buy a nuc...

There are some things you can do with those supers. You could freeze the frames and feed back to the bees when they need them. Or, you could put the super on top of a hive above an inner cover. The bees see the super as "outside" the colony and they'll clear it out. Or, you could wrap string around the super so that the frames stay inside when you turn the super upside down. Place the upside down super on the hive. The girls won't like that situation and they'll move the honey out and down. DON'T let them fill some other super. Here is the link for the formic acid directions, including how to handle supers and what timing to use:

http://www.miteaway.com/MAII_EPA_Label_Mar-05.pdf
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"