Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by allend View Post
    Patties have to be firm, and not squish.
    Well, this is where I strongly disagree.

My patties are soft & they squish, This is a huge labor savings by being able to put 4-7 pound patties on at once, also, you can hit the heat ring cluster with a soft 5 pound patty but you can't do this with a five one pound square patties.

Now, if you have ten hives in the back yard the square patties are a perfect way to go, but if your like me with thousands of hives the soft patty is the only way to travel.

I can put on 1500 pounds of soft patties by myself a day, know fuss no muss.

The hard square patties are made for pallets & shipping, not for the commercial keeper in the field.

P.S. the avg hive goes threw 75-100 of pollen a year, and that at 26% protein so you guys do the math.

Well, Keith, we all know you are promoting your patties and that you think you are right about everything, Maybe you are and maybe you are not.

My goal is try to bring a little balance to the discussion and point out that there are options.

All I can say is that you must be making a ton of money on patties, or desperate, to be pushing so hard.

You know, you write me or ask me about suppliers, and I tell you everything I know.

I tell you and everyone who asks exactly what is in the feed I use and recommend.

Do you do the same for me and others?

Allen, my last post,I said if you have hives in your back yard the one pound squares are the way to go.

I have spoken many times what's in pollen sub, rather it be egg yolk, canola oil ect...

Just ask Randy Oliver, many of his reconmendation on his web site have come threw me.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-28-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Default kEITH is not about to give out his receipe

. "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. " Winston
    Churhill

you gotta give till it hurts

Allen, my last post,I said if you have hives in your back yard the one pound squares are the way to go.
    OK. That is called damning by faint praise.

Maybe you run up to 4.500 hives like I used to and are quailfied to make that judgement. Maybe not.

I used the smaller patties and found them perfect. I've mentioned the advantages before. I would not use your method, personally, but understand that you and lots of others find it works for you.

I just get tired of your boosting your stuff at every opportunity and knocking other good products.

Each person has to decide for him or herself.

I just get tired of your boosting your stuff at every opportunity and knocking other good products.

Well Allen, your post #82 fits that bill.

As far as knocking other products... where have I strayed from the truth?

Well Allen, your post #82 fits that bill.
    How so? The question was asked and I answered it directly with my opinion, based on decades of experience as a consumer of patties and stated a bias. On the other hand, you interjected your ads and knew you were doing it, since you addressed the moderator and begged forebearance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barry Digman
    So, can we get a recommendation for purchasing a particular brand of pollen patties? I've never fed them but it doesn't seem like it would hurt, and might help.

I said:
    Well, I'm biased, but I think that dollar for dollar, Global is a pretty good supplier. I know they are ethical, and they have no axe to grind.

How so? The question was asked and I answered it directly with my opinion, :
    Yes allen, you answer with a opinion fair enough, BUT, when I have a opinion, as your last post says, you say I'm tooting my horn.

I have never accused anybody here of tooting there horn.

I have also stated facts & stats as to why I believe what I do.

OK. I think I've said my piece. Are we done?

Fair enough.

Have a good night, there two minute left in the game.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-28-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Default The Ninth Commandment

Allend , I have a good friend from North Dakota that purchased 40000 lbs of global this past fall and said the bees wouldnt take it for the most part and the ones that did take it didnt do anything as far as brooding with it. He said that was the biggest mess he ever got into and would NEVER buy that again..
    This report sounded so false and unlike everything I know about how Global does business, that I had to check it out.

I talked to Mike this morning and he says the person in question did not order forty thousand pounds, he ordered about twenty.

That was (as I guessed) about the time that some beekeepers were demanding softer patties and for whatever reason, that is what he got.

He had problems with the goo, so he called Mike, and Mike gave him a discount to compensate for his trouble.

I gather that he was happy, because he has since ordered more from Global.

[edit by mod]
    Last edited by Barry; 02-02-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: personal attack

Allend, your name fits you well, I know the truth as the person in question is my neighbor in the winter and me and him have since shared the next two semi loads of home made patty.. I will not waste any more time with topics that you start I have way to much truth to share to help this industry in need unlike you.. Kenny

I notice that the writer does not dispute what Global told me.

Default The Rest of the Story

I realise that some wish to make things simpler than they are, but things are seldom cut and dried.

People may use both home-made supplements and commercial patties to suit conditions. For smart beekeepers, it does not have to be one or the other all the time.

Sometimes, a mix dumped on the top bars and made in your own shop in slack times makes sense and might save some money. At other times, when the workload is heavy and the bees are far from home, buying pre-mixed supplement makes more sense. Proximity is a factor.

A loose mix can work well, but if the texture is wrong, it can drip and kill brood. Patties don't do that if made right.

If you are not working the broods, supplement can be dumped or smeared on and that is not a problem, but when the frames are being pulled, patties are better because they can be moved around without mess.

If you have hired help, that may affect what you decide.

In my opinion, there is and always will be a choice. That is how it should be. The choice that is made may vary from day to day, season to season, and location to location.

---

I was about to write out the rest of the story, but I like facts, not generalities and I am having problems matching the details.

Apparently Nebraska, North Dakota and Texas figure into the story that Global knows about. The writer claimed the "good friend" was from North Dakota. The buyer Global dealt with is from Nebraska. Is the original writer confused? Or is there another unhappy customer out there who never complained.

If so, he should have complained. Global made a generous settlement with the one they know about. He was offered his money back, but he chose to pick up 8,600 lbs of patties recently in Texas.

Thumbs Up money spent is money earned

$ saved is a $ earnned.one empoloyee can mix good sub for less than the proposed sugar patties take your choice a caddy or a vw.

Exactly. Everybody is different and circumstances can change. Good employees are hard to find, and when we did find them, we had more productive jobs for them. The guys we put on patties were slow and made mistakes. Plus we never had the right amount of everything. Always too much of one ingredient and not enough of another. Plus we did not trust our suppliers to have fresh stuff. Sometimes we learned the yeast or soy had been in their warehouse for a year or they did not know. I was glad to offload the job to trustworthy people and have some time off.

Probably other beekeepers are luckier or better managers that us. Hope so.

Also, I have to admit, it is easy to mix up the gunk, although sometimes it may be too thin and other times too thick if you are not at it all the time.

Making patties is much harder to do right. Up here we all use patties because we work the broods around the same time we are feeding and need easy access. Weeks or a month later there are three to five supers on top and brood chamber work is out of the question.

I appreciate all the comments, without exception and hope that it is evident that no one size fits all. We've been working on this for a decade or more and by sharing, everyone benefits.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-28-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: quotes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345