Thread: Summer mystery

Default Summer mystery

This is not intended to be gross, but it was no coinsidence.

This summer I had a particular spot that I urinated in outside of my workshop.
    Very often I would see a couple bees licking that spot. At first I thought it was for water but we had ample water supplies this year all season.
    Anyone know or care to guess what they were getting out of urine????

BTW...honey tasted great!!!!

Hee hee..... when I do that, I figure they're just drinking the beer that wasn't fully processed yet!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Salt would be a good guess. Or payback!!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Big Grin your an 8 honey

Did you get a good enough flow to get a good crop
    Are you going to bottle the honey and sell it to your good looking customers labeled as below

"Your an 8 Pure Honey "

my guess they was after salt and minerals
    Last edited by riverrat; 09-19-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: your an 8 honey

Default Summer mystery

I saw a film when I was in college biology about bees collecting dog urine.
    It was reported by a dog kennel worker to a researcher who working on what we now know as diabetes!
    I hope that your health is A OK!
    You might try giving the bees some mineral salt in the same location to see if they are attracted to it.
    Good Luck,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BJ View Post
    This is not intended to be gross, but it was no coinsidence.

This summer I had a particular spot that I urinated in outside of my workshop.
    Very often I would see a couple bees licking that spot. At first I thought it was for water but we had ample water supplies this year all season.
    Anyone know or care to guess what they were getting out of urine????

BTW...honey tasted great!!!!
    lol..

I would like to buy a bottle of your honey. I am going to give it to my sister in law for Christmas. The gift that just keeps on given.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Diabetic?

Diabetics spill sugar into their urine. Could you be diabetic? Adrian.

I was reading about oldtime beekeepers in one of my "foxfire" books a awhile back. In the section where they were talking about finding bees they were talking about using urine to bait a spot and when the bees started coming to the area they could follow the bees back to the tree.

Maybe you have found a new swarm lure?

Great books! I'm going with minerals hate to think it might be diabetes.

Orion
    Freedom and Liberty

Brand Name: You're in for a treat!

BJ, it is normal for bees to do that. They will often choose to collect water from a source that has an odor over a source that has little odor. They also may be collecting some nutrients from that place, perhaps even salt. The old timers, especially in parts of the North East during the 19 century were known to “salt their bees“, and believed it was essential to do so in order to maintain the health of the colony. There was also a belief at the time that salt prevented wax worm, and it was also used for this purpose.

If you think that is gross,,,
    In the field of forensic entomology, after an animal has been dead for a few days, body fluid will escape from the mouth and nose, and bees have been known to enter the mouth and nose to collect moisture from these places. This perhaps influenced the belief in ancient Roman times that bees were born from the maggots of flys found in dead cows, and the larvae of bees in the cells were still referred to as maggots for many centuries afterwards.

Joe
    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/H...eybeeArticles/

While @ a state beekeeping meeting, the university guy over our state program said he got a call about bees in the ground. Of course he thought not honeybees (@ this time we are AHB free). The caller insisted they were honeybees.

He called a beekeeper closer to the situation and ask if he would go and verify that it was honeybees. The beekeeper contacted him back and said it was definitely honeybees. So off he goes to investigate because of the suspicion a ground colony causes.

He got there and they were indeed honeybees that looked like they were coming from underneath a good size rock. After talking to the landowners a while they solved the mystery.

The lady odf the house keep thre boys (consisting of her own and a relatives). The boys were not allowed to keep tracking in and out of the house all day. The boys had decided to pick this rock to tinkle on evrey time they had to go. The state guy said, the bees were gathering the minerals etc., and it looked as though they were coming out of the ground from around the rock.
    sc-bee

Probably the same thing that butterflies want to get from dog poop on the ground.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by sc-bee View Post
    While @ a state beekeeping meeting, the university guy over our state program said he got a call about bees in the ground. Of course he thought not honeybees (@ this time we are AHB free). The caller insisted they were honeybees.

He called a beekeeper closer to the situation and ask if he would go and verify that it was honeybees. The beekeeper contacted him back and said it was definitely honeybees. So off he goes to investigate because of the suspicion a ground colony causes.

He got there and they were indeed honeybees that looked like they were coming from underneath a good size rock. After talking to the landowners a while they solved the mystery.

The lady odf the house keep thre boys (consisting of her own and a relatives). The boys were not allowed to keep tracking in and out of the house all day. The boys had decided to pick this rock to tinkle on evrey time they had to go. The state guy said, the bees were gathering the minerals etc., and it looked as though they were coming out of the ground from around the rock.
    Thanks Naturebee and SC-bee,

I knew I set myself up there and was going to mention in my origional post that the honey was great this year.....and gave lots to the in/outlaws!!!

Interesting to know that others have seen similar and this has been used as a lure in the past. No fear of diabetes here.....and there might have been a bit of beer there too.

I won't be putting that on my lables

Cheers all.