Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,861

    Default It's becoming less of a Beekeeping Forum

    36% of the new posts this morning are Tailgater.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,399

    Default

    Such is the ebb and flow of beekeeping. I can show you a graph of yearly postings that rise and fall with the honey flow. I think your premise is false, that if tailgater didn't exist, there would be more posting in bee forums. Certainly not 36% more.
    Regards, Barry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lewisberry, Pa, usa
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    My enthusiasm of bees does admittedly go down as the summer goes by, and the bees are getting ready for winter. I see less excitement at the bee clubs, the phone rings less, and people are busy with other things.

    The election season also makes for interest in national and local politics. I am happy that I can talk bees on one thread and slide on down, and read some non-bee topics. So 36% of new posts are in tailgater...what wrong with that? Membership is up, traffic is up, and the site has grown leaps and bounds.

    What would be sad, is 36% less posts due to keeping it just bee topics. Take away people's interest in talking other subjects, and it's a sliding scale of less and less posts across the board. A site with half less posts is far worse than a site with double posts...even if they are not a topic you are interested in.

    I have never joined other bees sites. (They would not take me! Ha, ha! just joking. ) But I have cruised them. The lesser amount of posting, the structured format, and other restrictions keep the sites in my opinion way below anything even close to beesource.

    Great job Barry. And thank you for allowing us to come to this site for a host of interests, and not just bees. I think the site is best that way!

  4. #4

    Default

    100% of the posts by odfrank so far today were not about bees.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    Over 10% of Nursebee's posts for 5 years have been in tailgater.

    Less than 3% of Odfrank's posts have been in tailgater.

    SO WHAT???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think your premise is false, that if tailgater didn't exist, there would be more posting in bee forums.
    I made no such premise. I only stated that 36% of the new postings that morning were tailgater, and it is the same this afternoon.

    If 36% of my honey was HFCS, would you buy it from me?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,399

    Default

    So what if it's 36%, what is your point then if my premise is false? Here is how I see your last remark. Your honey is 100% honey with an additional 36% HFCS ON THE BOTTOM. You can still enjoy 100% honey without ever getting into the HFCS by just leaving it alone!
    I think that is a more accurate comparison.
    Regards, Barry

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,861

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So what if it's 36%, what is your point then if my premise is false? Here is how I see your last remark. Your honey is 100% honey with an additional 36% HFCS ON THE BOTTOM. You can still enjoy 100% honey without ever getting into the HFCS by just leaving it alone!
    I think that is a more accurate comparison.
    My point is:
    The honey is contaminated, and less enjoyable because you have to avoid the crap on the bottom. You can't avoid the crap because its all mixed in with the honey at the bottom. If you could keep the HFCS completely seperate, it might be OK.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,399

    Default

    OK, now we're down to simply having different perspectives on how to still have 100% of something and avoiding the % of "contamination." I don't see it as "all mixed in" as there are ways to keep the two separated. It does however require some effort on the Users part.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-17-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Regards, Barry

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dane County, WI.
    Posts
    3,721

    Smile

    odfrank; Just go and watch your bees, I am sure they will give you peace of mind. Don't worry about Beesource so much, that's what I do.

    Who cares about 'Tailgater' if you don't like the comments?; it will never end because we are on a forum that includes PEOPLE from all over the country with Different opinions about everything.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lyons, CO
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Where do folks see out this % of posts thing? I haven't seen it on the new format.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Concord NH
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Did you check with one of the Mods?

    Milk Cows Not Taxpayers

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    Ben, you have 1513 posts. 157 of them are in tailgater. That is just over 10%.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lyons, CO
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Jeez, is there any way to not count the ones that weren't political? I'd hate to be thunk of as a T-gate junkie. Oh rats, I just upped my % again!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Venango/Crawford Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    As the season is coming to a close I am saddened.

    However, having this place to come to will keep us connected to the bees/beekeepers. Even though we may or may not post in tailgate. We won't have bee problems coming up to ask questions about, and we won't have things coming up that we want to try, to ask others about. But we will still stay connect until next March/April when bee life is resurrected once again.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,436

    Default

    What Bjorn said.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ennis, TX USA
    Posts
    5,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    My enthusiasm of bees does admittedly go down as the summer goes by, and the bees are getting ready for winter. I see less excitement at the bee clubs, the phone rings less, and people are busy with other things.
    It's the slow season. It's not tailgator. It's therapy. It reminds me of a classic.


    Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
    Wouldn’t you like to get away?
    Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name,
    And they’re always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows your name.
    You wanna go where people know, people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows your name.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,805

    Default

    All of the folks who complain about Tailgater should stay out of it. All of this complaining about Tailgater makes life miserable.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,861

    Default Uh oh

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    All of the folks who complain about Tailgater should stay out of it. All of this complaining about Tailgater makes life miserable.
    Another complaint about tailgater.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lewisberry, Pa, usa
    Posts
    6,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    All of the folks who complain about Tailgater should stay out of it. All of this complaining about Tailgater makes life miserable.
    I think it's just "Old" people with nothing better to do but complain. Like that skit from SNL with the old grumpy guy.

    Maybe we can have a "old person" icon to label threads to keep old people out. Like an "Old Geezer free zone".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads