Today is a day of remorse and some self loathing. I did a bee removal yesterday, my first ever. My friend and I put up the scaffolding, borrowed a bee vac and got the new hive ready. We spent four hours carefully getting all the bees, comb and brood out. I twice checked the bees in the vac and they were collecting fast, but were doing well. It was hot and sweaty, but a success...or so I thought.
After we were all done, I carried down the bee vac and decided to check my bounty before we cleaned up and that is when I noticed something was terribly wrong. While sucking up bees in and around the combs, I must have sucked up too much honey and covered the bees, essentially drowning 95% of the bees I then went to rubber band the comb and brood into empty frames and found that they now turned into one glob! I had them in the shade all day, but it must have been warmer than i thought.
This morning, I dumped the dead bees into a shoe box and filled it to the top!!!!! I murdered approximately 8 pounds of very strong and productive bees.
I know what I did wrong and it was just stupidity and lack of experience on my part.