Default Quick Capture Help

I was contacted to remove what appears to be an established colony from inside a cherry tree. The opening is about two feet off of the ground, it is in the middle of an empty lot within a neighborhood with a scattering of other trees around. I believe they want to keep the tree intact but need the bees gone within a week - when construction is set to begin.

At this time I don't have any extra frames with stores - just a box with frames and lemongrass/patchouli oil and bee quick.

I am a little concerned to leave the box since it is in the middle of a neighborhood - so the less conspicuous the better. Thanks for any help/ideas.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Not enough time for a trap-out. One of our club members has used smoke to successfully empty a tree of bees. He has a piece of conduit pipe (1/2) that is capped on one end with slits in the pipe below the cap. This allows this end of the pipe to push through comb and get to the top of the colony. (Bottom if the hole is above the colony). Anyway, he then uses his smoker to force smoke into the cavity to drive the bees out. You cannot be to generous with the smoke or you'll kill the bees instead of driving them out. The process can take a few hours. He uses a vacuum to capture the bees that leave the hive and collect outside the space. Unless you can get the queen to come out you will be doing nothing other than collecting a few pounds of bees to combine with another colony or create a split with.

Good luck,

Pete0
    Bena, VA

Possible solution.

Tree is coming down today. I went out early this morning and was able to wrap the opening in the tree with screen and secured it with several wraps of duct tape. Probably a dozen or so were out early and came back while I was finishing up. I did not appear that any were able to escape. I left a nuc nearby with generous amounts of lemongrass oil and patchouli oil just in case. I will go back again later this morning after they have dug the tree up. I will use a chainsaw and cut the section out containing the hive (fingers crossed). I'll get it into the back of my truck and transport them back to my property. From there they can stay in the tree or move to one of my nearby supers.

Good plan movving the log gum home. Leave it alone until spring then cut it open and move to a regular hive.

Default Fast Bee Getter...

Go to the grocery store and buy a jar of honey, pour it into an open container, like a small large mouth jar and put it in front of the empty hive.
    Patriotically speaking...Do you know that insects have a more complex political system than we do?

Quote Originally Posted by tedstruk View Post
    Go to the grocery store and buy a jar of honey, pour it into an open container, like a small large mouth jar and put it in front of the empty hive.
    interesting can you explain how this works

Success.

The hive in the log ended up being 9 feet long. Glad the backhoe was there to set it in my truck. They were pretty calm during all of the cutting but after I got them home and pulled the log off/out of the truck they were very unhappy girls. Hopefully everything will settle down by tomorrow. Even so, they are better of here than in a burn pile.