Default SoCal Beekeepers: Advice needed re honey stores

I've got a deep full of brood, honey and pollen, and a medium super packed with honey. Plus, a shallow above an excluder, which they're doing nothing with.

Given that SoCal bees tend to fly pretty much year 'round, do I need to leave the medium on as a food source, or is the honey in the deep plenty of reserve?

I'm not desperate for the honey, so I'm probably going to play it safe and leave it on this year. But I was curious if that's the common practice.

I'm not familiar with your area... Whether the bees have forage or not through Dec and Jan. But up here in the Bay Area, there is plenty of forage. In fact between now and Feb 1st, the bees will probably add a super of honey. So, I tend to put an empty super on around the end of Oct. Otherwise the bees will backfill the deep and run out of room come the first 2 weeks of Feb.

Of course, we are in a significant drought. So, without more rain, I'm not sure what kind of bloom we'll get.

Fuzzy

Ask at your local beekeeping club. I would guess that you could harvest and return the full medium. Especially if you are in suburbia.

Thanks OD, that's a good way to go, I'll do that. I'm not in suburbia, I'm up in the chaparral, but there seems to be some steady blooming going on--- albeit limited due to no rainfall since Feb.

Get rid of the queen excluder. Is the super above the queen excluder full of foundation? If so, extract the medium, remove the shallow, and put the medium back on top after extracting.

All there is above the excluder is a shallow full of undrawn foundation. the medium, full of honey, is directly under the excluder, and above the deep.

Default L.A. County Beekeepers assn.

E-Mail me at GOJ893@aol.com The club meets on the 1st Monday of ea month They meet in La Cresenta That is not too far from you.