Hybrid View

Default What type of bee is this?

I have many of these trying to get in my hives. I had a weaker hive that I had started feeding and noticed these got into the hive and up in the top hive feeder so I'm now combining two weaker hives. I'm also putting in an entrance reducer and plugging the cork hole.

In anycase, I'm just trying to understand what type of bee they are and if there is anything I can do. They did quite a bit of damage to the one hive and I'm trying to figure out what I could've done to prevent it.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...k/DSC00995.jpg

yellow jackets, I have heard they can kill a hive but I have never seen it, put out some traps and reduce the entrance down.

heres a home made trap
    http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/wasp_traps.htm
    Ted

Yellow jackets are especially troublesome at this time of the year. See if you can find the nest(s) and knock them out there as well. Traps help around the hive. I had a lot of trouble with them last year...not so much this year.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Yep! I lost two hives from yellow jackets this year. I was away for a little over two weeks and was not able to reduce the entrance in time. I had noticed a few yellow jackets attempting entry and reduced the entrance some, but not enough. Went from strong hives to one dead in that short time. The other was so small it had no chance. I tried to nurse it but should have combined it. Lesson learned.

Orion
    Freedom and Liberty

Default yellow jacket twice the size of a queen?

that my friend is no yellow jacket. It is what some call a Japanese hornet. I have seen them capture a bee mid flight, they can be kept out of the hive by making the entrance as small as a worker bee no larger.

Sorry Seamus but that aint no Japanese Hornet. Japanese hornets don`t have those hooked yellow stripes. Their stripes are solid. And they are huge. I mean really huge... like 2 inches in length. Check this out:

Japanese hornets

This is a wasp. a.k.a yellow jacket.
    Kevin: reduce the entrance, set out traps and watch `em. Unlike bees these things can sting many times.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you`ll be among the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by seamuswildhoney View Post
    that my friend is no yellow jacket. It is what some call a Japanese hornet. I have seen them capture a bee mid flight, they can be kept out of the hive by making the entrance as small as a worker bee no larger.
    I think Japanese hornets are much larger.