Thread: I,m A newbee

Default I,m A newbee

Hi all great site. I found a swarm in my yard 8-19-2008 about the size of 3/4 of a football. Put them in a double brood hive ,they seem to be doing well. But my qustion is will they live through the winter! I live in michigan where the winters are harsh. I've been feeding them sugar syrup every day with an entrance feeder they eat about a quart a day

Your sugar water should be a 2:1 at this point...two parts sugar to one part water so they can store it for the winter. They are also going to need pollen, so check and see if they are bringing in pollen. If not, you are going to have to supplement it with pollen patties. At this stage feed them both as long as they take it. I would plan on checking them on warm days during the winter and feeding if necessary. Lots here on feeding during winter if you search for that term. good luck.

I am wondering if you are giving them too much room. That small should be in a one brood hive to start and maybe a super. But if you let them spread out to much they will not have time to fill out comb in the bottom let alone the top. Then you give them to much room to winter in and keep warm.

I am in PA and you are in MI so I know how cold it can get and maybe colder for you even. I would take all frames filled out or started, and put below and if only a few then I would feed the heck out of them. Maybe 3:1. It hasn't even been a month for them yet. If they don't have much drawn I wouldn't put a super on yet.

Thank you for your reply.