View Poll Results: What influence does Tailgater currently have on the overall quality of the forums?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tailgater negatively impacts the overall quality of Beesource

22 26.51%
  • Tailgater has no impact on the overall quality of Beesouce

24 28.92%
  • Tailgater adds to the overall quality of Beesource

37 44.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailgater 2

Default No Impact

I look at tailgator 1% of the time, if that when I visit Beesource.
    Ahhhh the minds of beekeepers 61 votes and its neck and neck with all 3 basically.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.

Reading tailgater helps me decide whether the advise I am reading on other threads is coming from someone who is a conservative, which I immediately disregard (Bjorn is the exception to this rule), a moderate who I'll then do some further research and make an informed opinion or a liberal who I know has already read three books on the subject, done their on line research and would not lead me astray!

Seriously though, I appreciate and learn from all the points of view expressed on tailgater. Although I don't come here in search of that aspect I find myself frequently reading through threads and adding what I find here, often from people I've come to respect and like. I think our on a personal basis our individual bias is evident and often I would trust that over what the pundits feed us every day through various media. Some days it gets a little hostile but on the whole I wade through that for good information.

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    Barry, I don't think you have a majority that think that way. A majority is greater than 50%. As of this writing only 39% feels it adds to the overall quality of Beesource, while 32% think it hurts Beesource. Grant it a larger percentage think it improves, but is it because the negativity of tailgater has driven some members away for good and will continue to do so?
    Those that feel tailgater has no impact on the overall quality of Beesource can hardly be applied to either side of the issue. It comes down to 27% against and 43% in favor of tailgater. That's what I call a majority.

Also 39% of the people responding said they would post (participate) in tailgater if it wasn't for the R&P. 39% is not a small minority.
    No it isn't. Yet as it has so well been explained, one has to choose to be part of the P&R discussions, so what is prohibiting anyone to start or participate in a non P&R topic and avoid the other?

I think the results of the two poll shows there is a real need to at least split tailgater into two parts. Make one "Politics and Religion" and the other one "Other Hobbies" or "Odds and Ends". If you no one want to moderate it, I would be more than happy to do so.
    It seems silly to me to break up the forum into two groups because as it is now, the user can already do that by simply choosing which thread they want to read and reply to within tailgater. If we break it up into two groups, you now put the burden and responsibility of sorting it out on to the three moderators. You give up some of your freedom to choose. The numbers just don't support getting rid of tailgater and there is some support to make it two groups. Let me do one more poll about this and see.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    This poll is tainted and bogus. A simple search of a couple people claiming to "never read or participate" in tailgater are liars. Sorry if that sound tough. But fibbing and bending the truth does not apply.

A simple search of the profiles (bring up "list of all posts) of a couple people who claimed to never read and/or never participate in tailgater simply proves that they are lying.

So much for the high and mighty claiming "I'm too good for tailgater". It might be the message....but its tainted with lies!
    Because this was posted right after my post claiming I don’t participate in the tailgater forum and so I am not lumped into the group of “liars” . . . I maintain that “I haven’t and don’t plan to use the tailgater.” I find that it is more than a total waste of the beesource resources. It causes dysfunction and allows hostility and anger to spill over into all of the other forums. I believe if it were eliminated people like me could come to beesourse and find what they are looking for . . . pertinent information on beekeeping issues and nothing more. I am afraid it would make the site really boring to those of you who banter on constantly about nothing and perhaps some would frequent the site less. GREAT! I see that as a good thing as it would refocus this site on what it was designed for . . . BEEKEEPING. If you are bored of talking about beekeeping issues move on to another forum. Try a forum like your local bar stool or start a blog. I repeat for those of you who say to just ignore the tailgater section of the forum . . . the hostility garnered in the tailgater spills over and taints the ENTIRE forum.
    \"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.\" - Mark Twain

the hostility garnered in the tailgater spills over and taints the ENTIRE forum
    I haven't seen this at all. I see people that don't 'get along' on Tailgater offering helpful advice on other forums...
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Chief...you are a lying again! Your post was #7 and the post you said "came right after your's was #9. It did not come right after yours. #8 did!

Ok, settle down. Just joking. I did not lump all together. A said a "couple". There were more than a couple who claimed that. A couple also had not made a false claim. (you being one of them) There you go, now you can be in the "other" grouping.

You really need to stay up on this. This post was way back on page one....which seemed to be a week ago!

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    I haven't seen this at all. I see people that don't 'get along' on Tailgater offering helpful advice on other forums...
    I agree! Here is a thread from yesterday and today, featuring a conversation between MIKI and myself. Imagine that!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222417

BjornBee,

I don't have time to sit on this forum all day. Only the days I am at work.
    \"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.\" - Mark Twain

No it isn't. Yet as it has so well been explained, one has to choose to be part of the P&R discussions, so what is prohibiting anyone to start or participate in a non P&R topic and avoid the other?
    To expand an example already used on this topic. Say we have a video store that has the back room for adult titles. What would happen to rentals of family oriented titles if they were put in the back room with the adult titles. To rent a family video you still have to go into a room that many people find distastefully. 37% of the voters find the R&P distastefully enough not to post in tailgater. I suspect they don't spend much if any time in tailgater.
    Last edited by magnet-man; 09-15-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by magnet-man View Post
    To rent a family video you still have to go into a room that many people find distastefully. 37% of the voters find the R&P distastefully enough not to post in tailgater.
    So are you saying that people are disgusted by Tailgater Thread Titles? That they find Tailgater Thread Titles distasteful? And are having bad reactions from seeing these titles on the List of Todays Posts?

I didn't realize that.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

So are you saying that people are disgusted by Tailgater Thread Titles?
    I don't know. I just know that 37% would post if P&R was not in tailgater, I don't know if it is the titles or just the knowledge of the possible ugliness that might be lurking behind the titles. There must be something there that affect 37%.

Barry says it will be more work to monitor another forum. It likely would be because more people would participate. On the other hand an "Odds and Ends" forum would likely not have to be moderated as much as Tailgater requires. That is my opinion and there is no way to prove it but to try it out.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

You will never know exactly where the tread is headed just by the title in a no holds barred tailgater. I think what magnetman is getting at is that you would know it is not headed towards religion and politics in a non religion and politics forum. If you were on a religion and politics forum then it would or at least could contain R&P. So many people on this forum like to talk about so many things off the topic of bees I cant see why there is resistance to adding yet another forum that takes beesoruce even further away from its purpose. With that comment I will restate what I have already said . . . Get rid of the tailgater altogether.

Default Just a thought...

Barry, I just had an idea. If your interested in seperating the two, but dont want to make a tailgater 2. You could put an R&P icon on the bottom where you choose smileys, ect. When the new post lists, there would be an R&P icon to the left. And those who choose not to read can skip that message. As I have posted before, I don't read any usually unless the title sounds interesting in tailgater, and I've never read anything that made me think that there was a problem. Pretty clean site (Thankyou). Just thought that I would offer this idea, if it is an issue that bothers you, maybe it will save you some time. thanks, Daniel

Interesting idea Daniel. I'll give it some thought.
    Regards, Barry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12