View Poll Results: What influence does Tailgater currently have on the overall quality of the forums?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tailgater negatively impacts the overall quality of Beesource

22 26.51%
  • Tailgater has no impact on the overall quality of Beesouce

24 28.92%
  • Tailgater adds to the overall quality of Beesource

37 44.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tailgater 2

Default Tailgater 2

Vote for one. I'll stay out of this one!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 AM.
    Regards, Barry

And they're off, Negative and No Impact running neck and neck, with Quality still in the starting gate!
    Regards, Barry

I get to vote on this one! I couldn't on the other one.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I suppose it [Tailgater] is a forum for those who want to express their,,..'opinion' about such things. There are many beekeepers all over the country who have many divergent ideas about what,..'direction' our country should go in the next 4-8 years. I am happy to hear them, tho I might not always agree; I mostly keep my [internet] mouth shut.

I haven’t and don't plan to use tailgater. I agree with the folks that don't believe a beekeeping forum should be anything other than just that. I would suggest that if people want to discuss ANYTHING other than valid beekeeping issues they can simply go to another forum. I see the hate and contention that is fostered in the tailgater forum spill over to all the other forums. I am afraid human nature is such that if you disagree on things like religion and politics then you will have a hard time agreeing on beekeeping. I see this happen all the time at work and in the family. Get rid of the tailgater.
    \"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.\" - Mark Twain

Smile Tailgater

I use this forum to get information on Bee Keeping, not Politics, Religion nor other things like rebuilding a motor. If you want to talk about other things then go to that forum and let us talk about the Ladies without other disruptions. My opinion is that if you want to talk about something other than Bee Keeping then take your soapbox elsewhere!

This poll is tainted and bogus. A simple search of a couple people claiming to "never read or participate" in tailgater are liars. Sorry if that sound tough. But fibbing and bending the truth does not apply.

A simple search of the profiles (bring up "list of all posts) of a couple people who claimed to never read and/or never participate in tailgater simply proves that they are lying.

So much for the high and mighty claiming "I'm too good for tailgater". It might be the message....but its tainted with lies!

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I haven’t and don't plan to use tailgater. I agree with the folks that don't believe a beekeeping forum should be anything other than just that. I would suggest that if people want to discuss ANYTHING other than valid beekeeping issues they can simply go to another forum. I see the hate and contention that is fostered in the tailgater forum spill over to all the other forums. I am afraid human nature is such that if you disagree on things like religion and politics then you will have a hard time agreeing on beekeeping. I see this happen all the time at work and in the family. Get rid of the tailgater.
    I agree, and some are really getting mad about this issue and it is coming out in their views they are posting, wanting to keep it. But on the other hand they come here too, so I feel that tailgate should remain, but only as another page and not in "New Posts". BTW I told two people about this site and they never thought Beekeepers were like we have been in tailgate. I was a little embarrassed. Most people think of Beekeepers as special people, calm and nice, because we can handle bees and they don't bother us.
    I have been lucky this year... I haven't been stung.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Womack View Post
    I use this forum to get information on Bee Keeping, not Politics, Religion nor other things like rebuilding a motor. If you want to talk about other things then go to that forum and let us talk about the Ladies without other disruptions. My opinion is that if you want to talk about something other than Bee Keeping then take your soapbox elsewhere!
    I can appreciate that, but these are their friends, and who else to talk about rebuilding a motor or fixing something, than their friends.
    I don't agree with Bjornbee most of the time, however, having said that, he has every right to talk to his friends about whatever he would feel the need to.
    I feel that it should be posted on another page, a click away, for those wanting to go, can, and those not wanting it to be in their "New Post" list, that it will not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    I feel that tailgate should remain, but only as another page and not in "New Posts".
    This just isn't going to happen. Not a function I can implement. Think about it. As a software engineer developing a functionality of a discussion board called "new posts", why would there be a need to further control this to mean "selected new posts"? If you start making every function of the board customizable to every possible whim of every member, your program/software would be off the charts in size, cost, complexity, time, etc. New posts are new posts. Should we be able to view new posts alphabetically too? How about organized according to user name? The list is endless. At some point, we each must use our own super computer and simply select that part of beesource we want to engage with and ignore the rest. The polls already show that members here cover the full spectrum. Unless the polls take a drastic turn, they indicate that the majority feel Tailgater has a place here, serves a purpose, and that it should remain as is. That is my gut feeling as well, although at times I do tire of moderating it (I think the other moderators do as well and I'm very conscience of the time they give to moderating this forum). There are days it wouldn't take much to talk me into deleting the forum, but I remind myself that as a moderator, I have to basically read every post, but members can choose to ignore the forum altogether.

Let me just say how grateful I am to have Barry D. and Dave V. comoderating Tailgater. It would be a mess without them. I can hear some say "it's a mess either way."
    Regards, Barry

I would like to be able to "turn off" ALL "Tailgaiter" posts when viewing "Todays Post".

My (limited) interest is in BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This just isn't going to happen. Not a function I can implement. That is my gut feeling as well, although at times I do tire of moderating it (I think the other moderators do as well and I'm very conscience of the time they give to moderating this forum). There are days it wouldn't take much to talk me into deleting the forum, but I remind myself that as a moderator, I have to basically read every post, but members can choose to ignore the forum altogether.

Let me just say how grateful I am to have Barry D. and Dave V. comoderating Tailgater. It would be a mess without them. I can hear some say "it's a mess either way."
    I have to say Barry, that if it was me I would wonder... wonder if I would go nuts. I know that all the ones that help you do a wonderful job. I am sure you are more than just grateful, because with out them helping you, YOU would go nuts.

After my last posting I was doing some title work for a trucking company, and something he said made me think about this forum. After he left, I was wondering if you could even do it, let alone even wanting too. If it was my choice, I wouldn't want to even bother. I just wouldn't. Although, I don't totally agree, I to would say, just leave things as they are. The only thing is some should be told to watch name calling. But everyone is welcome to call me anything... Just not late for Beekeeping.

Overall, it keeps most of the garbage off the regular forums. I read a fair amount of tailgater but only post to a very small part. Most of it is too ridiculous to take seriously.

edit:

I'm very impressed with the number of postings some people are able to type up. I don't know how they can possibly do anything with their lives other than post to tailgater!
    Last edited by Hillside; 09-13-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

>>>>Most of it is too ridiculous to take seriously.<<<<

You can say that again.

>>>>Most of it is too ridiculous to take seriously.<<<<

That's why I like it. Just a lot of fun, with very little substance.

Kinda like myself.

For crying out loud, there is a column under "new posts" that tells you the forum under which it is posted. If it says "Tailgater," skip it if you don't want it. So you have three pages of "new posts" instead of two, that's one extra mouse click, big deal.

I am on a sailing forum as well. Recently somone posted because honeybees had moved into his sailboat hull. I was able to help out with some advice. That kind of thing really brings people together, in my opinion.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

[QUOTE=Hobie;352591]For crying out loud, there is a column under "new posts" that tells you the forum under which it is posted. If it says "Tailgater," skip it if you don't want it. So you have three pages of "new posts" instead of two, that's one extra mouse click, big deal.

[QUOTE]

I have to agree, except the crying out loud part (it makes my dogs go nuts if I cry out loud), the one column does state what forum it is under.

Unless the polls take a drastic turn, they indicate that the majority feel Tailgater has a place here, serves a purpose, and that it should remain as is. That is my gut feeling as well
    Barry, I don't think you have a majority that think that way. A majority is greater than 50%. As of this writing only 39% feels it adds to the overall quality of Beesource, while 32% think it hurts Beesource. Grant it a larger percentage think it improves, but is it because the negativity of tailgater has driven some members away for good and will continue to do so?

Also 39% of the people responding said they would post (participate) in tailgater if it wasn't for the R&P. 39% is not a small minority.

I think the results of the two poll shows there is a real need to at least split tailgater into two parts. Make one "Politics and Religion" and the other one "Other Hobbies" or "Odds and Ends". If you no one want to moderate it, I would be more than happy to do so.
    Last edited by magnet-man; 09-13-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Yeah...me and magnet-man can do the job!

Hi all,

I feel things are fine the way it is. It's like when you go to almost any store, when you are checking out there is alot of stuff on the shelves that you must pass by. Some of it might be stuff you are not interested in. So you just walk right on by and don't buy it. Should there be special checkout lanes for those that might not like all that is presented? People have the right to not buy what they don't like. Same goes for the forum. Just don't read what you don't want to read. Pretty simple I think. Some make it sound like just because they see that there are new posts in the Tailgater section that they are pulled into that part of the forum against their free will. I do believe that noone enters it without first making their personal choice to do so. That extra click is already in place to get there, unless others get the forum in a different manner than I do.

Take care all,
    Ray B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast