Default Got a question about goldenrod?

Every year my bees seem to refuse to work the goldenrod?I have been watching it alot closer.I have seen bumble bees,a bee a little bigger than a sweat bee,hornets and hundereds of bugs that look lightenbugs but with a longer body? I was wondering if these bugs could be the reason my bees are not working the goldenrod?We have a black looking fly that looks like it has a stinger.and if it!s on the sweet clover the honey bees will not work it.After a31/2 inch rain last week I have seen a few honey bees on it but very few.Anyone else ever have this problem?Would anyone have an idea what kind of bug and flies these are?I know it would be hard to identify them without seeing them,but I bet their is someone out there who knows what I!m talking about

the bugs that look like lightning bugs are probably blister beetles

My bees just started working the rod the other day and we haven't had rain... give them a few more days and they will. Maybe your Golden Rod isn't ready yet because of the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    I was wondering if these bugs could be the reason my bees are not working the goldenrod?We have a black looking fly that looks like it has a stinger.and if it!s on the sweet clover the honey bees will not work it.
    No. Around here, you will find everything under the sun working goldenrod including all that you mentioned, and the honeybees are mixed in with them all.
    Regards, Barry

Yes, I have the same thing here, all the bugs you are talking about are here too. I thought the same thing about the bees not working the GR due to all the other bugs.
    I have seen a few bees starting to work it, but they are far and few. I think that we just had such a wet summer and late summer that the GR flow is behind everyone else. I'm still hoping for something to happen. I just need it to warm up a little more. It feels like we only had two weeks of summer here.

"Every year my bees seem to refuse to work the goldenrod?"

They 'refuse to work',..even the [your] Missouri goldenrod?? How odd.
    http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/photos/SOLMIS_MRB.jpg

Today, when I was out to the bees, I noticed they were working on a 'goldenrod' that was about ONE mile from the hives; it was the 'plume' type of floresence but I don't know what species. There is a 'prairie restoration' where I have seen MANY honeybees working but it is at least,..1.5 miles away. The area is at least a 'football stadium' wide and 900 yards long. I have seen MANY honeybees on the 'flat-top' variety of goldenrod like the 'Ohio goldenrod'. Later in the autumn around here the 'Showy Goldenrod' is very attractive to the bees. -- http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/

Yes, there are many other insects, like Bumble bees that frequent the flowers of autumn, but I don't think they discourage honeybees from foraging along with them.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 09-10-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Do you have jewelweed blooming? That's where all the bees seem to be here, honey, bumble, and otherwise.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

http://flickr.com/photos/meanandpinchy/2687401214/

Not my photo, but we get a lot of these on goldenrod. They were also on my canola pretty heavily.

Last year I found no honeybees on goldenrod, but they're working it this year.

That would be a solder beetle (Chauliognathus pennsylvanicus). Very common around here also.
    Regards, Barry

I live just North of Brooksbeefarm in Buffalo MO and my bees have not yet started working the golden rod either. Last year they worked it a little later in the year but not heavily.

I was checking out some goldenrod in a different area than I usually do and saw numerous bumbles full w/ pollen. I'll try to get pic tomorrow. My girls are staying real busy. I dont see pollen on them when I look but they sure have something going on!

Default question about goldenrod

Great pictures guys.The picture of the soldier beetle looks like the one I was talking about.Today on the way to farmers market I was looking at the goldenrod in the fence row, the bright yellow goldenrod was cover with beetles,wasp,some bumble bees and hornets.I found two patches that was a little darker looking, like it was going to seed and the honey bees were all over it along with the other bugs.Looks like they are going to work it,across the road their is some type of mint starting to bloom in the woods[about 2to3 ft. tall with purple flowers sticking up like ragweed,I think called beefsteak mint? and they are really working it hard.Thingings are looking up,except we have rain forcast for the next 3 days and it will wash the nectar out like this spring.Had plenty of dry years never had a to wet year here in SW Mo.Sold alot of honey and all the comb honey I had with me,cooler weather people thinking biscuits,cornbread and honey.Thanks for the info.

I was always told that the early golden rod is as dry as a popcorn fart (I could not make that up). This year has been very wet and my bees are working it hard and early. Last year it was real dry and it did not do anything until late September. It seemed that every other insect has feeding on golden rod except my bees. when it hits, they will be there.