Default Another combining question

I had a call yesterday to go remove a swarm. Very unlikely this time of year but the description fit (football shaped cluster, etc.) so off I went. I even thought it was a swarm except they were not behaving like one (no fanning in the box, bees were very defensive and tended to try to run back up under the eve...) Turns out they were just bearding and the homeowners never noticed they had a bee hive in their house.
    Anyway, now I have quite a large box full of bees. My Lang equipment is very limited. All my colonies are in Top Bar Hives. I do have a small colony in a five frame nuc. And I put the new bees in another five frame nuc. Could I put them side by side and span both nucs with a super? Should I could close both nuc entrances and force all bees through the super? Should I still use newspaper on top of the queenright super? Anyone done anything like this before?
    Thanx,
    Aram

You are thinking of wintering them side by side? My problem with this is if one doesn't make it then you have too much space and cold air for the others to make it. Unless you are going to put them inside. Why not give them each, their own nuc super?

Not sure if others will agree, but those are my thoughts.
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 09-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Thank you for the reply.
    I am hoping they will combine (i.e. the queenless bees accept the queen and work with the queenright colony.) When I see they get along and work together I can put the frames from both nucs into one deep body. I'm just trying to find a way to create some common space hoping they don't fight too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Aram View Post
    I am hoping they will combine (i.e. the queenless bees accept the queen and work with the queenright colony.) .
    oh the new swarm has no queen... I see... well I am not sure having them share a super will work... this time of year they are protecting their winter supply. Why not put them in two hives on top of each other... one being a hive body on top, and, if you want, the new swarm in a super on top, placing newpaper between them... poking a few holes in the newpaper.
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 09-07-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Just join them. One bunch is queenless wanting a queen. The queenright bunch will accept queenless bees. Try the newspaper method, it'll should fine in this situation.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Done! Thanks guys. I'll take pictures and post the progress.
    Aram