Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How To Positively Id Afb

Tags
afb
3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Scrapfe 
#1 ·
I lost several colonies last Winter due to AFB 'cause the Tylosin I used was out-dated (bummer!). AS it was a relatively light case of AFB, neither is the odor very noticeable nor are there many perforated cell cappings. Can anyone tell me an easy way to identify which brood combs are infected??

#4 · (Edited)
afb

In afb the capping is perforated it is also SUNK in and usually has a little bit of a darker color to it. Uncap a few cells and look in cell in the late stage the pupa will be the length of the cell and the tongue will be pointing up. or if in the bottom of the cell check for ropeness also when the pupa is dried take a stick and try to rake it out its almost impossible with out tearing up the cell.

Don't know for sure but what you described kinda sounds like you may have been looking at Vorra post mite syndrome. In small amount of brood you can smell a kinda of sour smell and capping's is also perforated but they still have a dome shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.