Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bees View Post
    Do you meen that you all are that out of date out there?? Them folk have been here a long time now:}:}
    AHBs have been in MD a long time? How wide spread? Or were you refering to something else?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    Our county and I guess maybe all counties in Ca charge an annual $10 fee to register all beeyards in the County .
    Hi,
    What county are you in? I haven't heard of anyone paying any fees.

I was also under the impression we didn't have any bee inspectors. Who inspects packages & queens leaving the state?
    Dan

Yep thats the way of it -gota have minumum number i think it is 9 not sure and yes contra costa ag has a bee guy -he is very good to get along with -and we like it like that -and i think i paid a small fee to get my brand number -cant rember the cost -RDY-B

Yep, nine is the lucky number that separates hobby and commercial...At least as far as the gov is concerned.
    So, if I buy a bunch of extra excluders, gather all my empty supers and some newspaper......

I found some of the info, incase any one else is interested,
    Apiary
    Each year all beekeepers in the county are required to register their colonies with the Agricultural Commissioner. This process is designed to be beneficial to beekeepers as well as people who live and work near bee yards. It helps us know where hives are located and helps resolve certain complaints and issues concerning bees in our county. The possibility of Africanized Honeybees entering our county makes it especially important that we know where colonies are being kept.There is $ 10 registration fee. Blank forms are available at our office. If you have been stung multiple times by honeybees or ground nesting wasps, you can possibly get assistance from the Contra Costa County Mosquito and Vector Control Agency at 925-685-9301.

2366 A Stanwell Circle
    Concord CA 94520-4807
    Phone: 925.646.5250
    Fax: 925.646-5732
    Office Hours 8AM - 5PM

Thanks RDY-B,

I'll have to look into it. If you have any info on the guy I'd appreciated it.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by RDY-B View Post
    Yep thats the way of it -gota have minumum number i think it is 9 not sure and yes contra costa ag has a bee guy -he is very good to get along with -and we like it like that -and i think i paid a small fee to get my brand number -cant rember the cost -RDY-B
    Last edited by KQ6AR; 09-09-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    Dan

On the form you put your yards down by section,township and range ,and general description. Then you ask for spray notification on the same form.If you are in ag country ,you will get calls from farmers and cropdusters telling you when ,where and what they are going to spray with. Then you can decide what to do.Works pretty well.

Default $10.00 reg fee with county

The $10.00 fee is for even one hive. You pay the county that you are in on Jan 1. Say if you move to a new county to do pollination or make honey, you also register with them. The subsequent counties do not charge, they just plot to location of your bees for spray notice. I work in L.A. Cty. and Kern. I pay L.A. and send a copy of that reg. to Kern when I move into Kern. It is a very simple form. About the only requirement they have is to have a name and phone # on each yard and insure a water supply for the bees.

County registration is per county.

Sacramento county requires registration of all hives (So I've been informed by someone I know who goes to all the CSBA meetings and is a commercial beek). Placer county does not require any registration (So I was informed by a beek that came to my club open house this weekend). Other counties may or may not require registration.

Some counties in Ca have a 'right to farm' law which is a help to beeks. Sacramento County does not have this.

Northern California Bee Breeders Association is pushing for a fee of $10 per hive for each and every hive within the state. I don't know if this is the Asessment tax. It supposedly is for research into CCD, run by beeks but within the dept of ag. (This I've heard from someone who goes to the breeders meetings). They are trying for $10 per hive for any and all hives in CA.

Now we see why there has been so much publicity this last year about CCD and the scare of NO more food because of Bees dying. It's all for greater taxation for "research" to save the bees.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

NY State has a survey of sorts this year too. The State Apiculturalist has sent out registration forms to all known beekeepers in order to try to update yard registrations for inspection purposes. Included in the same envelope is a questionaire from Cornell University on what you have experienced in 2007 and early 2008.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default County registration

Then after it's all down on paper the county tax assessor can bill you for unsecured personal property, all landowners are sent an agricultural property statement that must be completed and signed, listing all ag assets on your property in X county on Jan. 1. Things like livestock, trucks, picking boxes, etc. Whaddaya think are they going to give the poor old beekeeper a break on this one? I pay around $1200 a year on bees trucks lift supers and so on in addition to RE taxes.

<Northern California Bee Breeders Association is pushing for a fee of $10 per hive for each and every hive within the state. I don't know if this is the Asessment tax. It supposedly is for research into CCD, run by beeks but within the dept of ag. (This I've heard from someone who goes to the breeders meetings). They are trying for $10 per hive for any and all hives in CA.>

At that rate, there should be a good business opportunity for bootleging bees. I can picture a bunch of souped up flatbeds making midnight runs and mafia brokers distributing the illegal hives to all those almond growers who don't want the extra assessment costs added to their pollination fees. Anyone know where I can get a flatbed that will do 150mph with a full load?
    doug

Naw...150 mph will draw too much attention. I suggest you have a switch that can turn off all your lights (brake lights included) and make your runs at night using AN-PVS 7 night vision goggles. You can be the BEENIGHTRIDER.

Default There was thunder, thunder over thunder road. Thunder was his engine light amber...

Quote Originally Posted by sierrabees View Post
    They are trying for $10 per hive...At that rate, there should be a good business opportunity for bootleging bees. I can picture a bunch of souped up flatbeds making midnight runs...Anyone know where I can get a flatbed that will do 150mph with a full load?
    Seems like I remember one of those being around here back in the late 70s or early 80s. It was a 1966 F350 with a 500+cid engine block from a medium duty truck. I know it was seized three time and auctioned off by the high sheriff. Each time out of town intrests were the high bidders, and the next time it was seized it was a different color. Seized one time locally. Outran all the sheriff's big block muscle cars, while transporting 1,100 cases of beer. No lie! That cyphers out to about 200 hives ready for winter. Reason they seized if was the driver wan't a local boy. He turned onto a dead end road. Had a big enough lead though that he stopped, turned off the ignition, and skedaddled across a cotton field before the deputies caught up. If you boys interested I could ask around the race track. Take my word for it, you boys don't want no flat bed truck. Get a stake bed, load stays on better during snap turns.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Hmmmm thats Ca government for you allways wanting something out of you. You can not get blood out of a stone. And with them wanting to make us pay fees what is going to happen to the farmers who pay to have our bees pollunate there Almonds, other trees fields etc. We will have to pass that fee unto the farmer. Which with the rising cost of gas, feed, equipment and electricity it might just push that farmer out of business. I know last years almost 200 a hive hurt allot of farmers but I still saw just in the 2 counties I go to at the least 10 to 20 new Almond orchards going in this year alone. And last year there was about half that. This year they had better then expected pollination and are getting record crops despite bloom being almost 2 to 3 weeks late this year. We are also going into a drought and that will also not help us living in this state either farmer nor beekeeper. I know I have not been in the industry very long but long enough in ag to know that this is not going to work. [edit by mod] there registuring your hives with the county for getting notified 48 hrs in advanced of spraying dont help now as it is. You dont get Notified when you are supposed to and when you call them on it they say well we told them to yet do nothing about it. I saw hog wash and just another reason to leave Ca for good. I am getting sick and tired of them nickeling and dimeing us to death.

Angi
    Hanford Ca
    Last edited by Barry; 09-18-2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: profanity
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Ten bucks a hive?! I was feeling irate thinking it might be a buck.
    What are these guys smoking?
    Ten bucks will buy lots of sugar and yeast and meds to keep my bees alive,or groceries to keep my grandkids from starving.I call BS on this idea :bs:

I talked with our county AG guy. He gave me an application, told me that many beekeepers don't bother to register.
    He didn't seem to push the issue of registering either way, also he said unless I was selling honey at farmers markets etc. there wouldn't be any reason to pay the $10 fee.

I could register without paying, The $10 would get me some type of certificate required to sell honey at the farmers markets.
    All & all a good experience meeting with the guy, I'd recommend it.
    Dan

Solutions are the leading cause of problems, esp. if the gub'mint is involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12