When fielding questions at farmers markets and presentations-
Ive noticed that John Q. Public doesnt seem to realize that it is standard proceedure for most beekeepers to dose their hives with miticides and antibiotics at least once, twice a year- Mavrik., etc.
They are vaugely aware that the bees are in some kind of trouble but... When I let it slip once or twice that most keepers poison their hives, I noticed that people were really shocked that "natural, raw honey" comes from hives where the bees were dosed with pesticides .
ok get ready... here it comes...
SINCERE YET RHETORICAL NAive question ALERT!...
Do we, as beekeepers have any responsibility to inform the public about possible toxic exposure from what has been marketed as pure and natural- for decades?
Have our practices helped to perpetuate the decline of the honeybees and decieved the public?