Default Bees congregating under top...

I put a spacer on top of my hive as I am feeding pollen patties and treating with spearmint or something and I was squishing bees everytime I closed the top. Now when I open the top there is a baseball size clump of bees hanging from the top and a bunch of them fly up when the top is removed. I haven't been stung but it is disconcerting to have them flying aroudn! I would think they should be down working on storing or drawing comb, not lolligagging on top.
    Your thoughts are appreciated!

is it hot there?

fishdude writes:
    spearmint or something

tecumseh: could you specify the something?

don't know what you are using here, or why, but a number of 'natural' mite type treatments should induce the workers to move the stuff out of the hive... so you might expect numbers of workers congregating around it and the pollen.

It is for the tracheal mites and is some sort of crystal mint something. I don't remember if it is spearmint or peppermint but it is very minty. It has not been terribly hot here, mid 70's. The bees have left the package alone, they don't seem to mind it at all.

perhaps thymol?

like I said I have never used the stuff, but I would suspect the fumes (or smell) are making the bees act a bit pecular.