Default raw organic honey prices?

I was looking through the Glory Bee Honey catalog pages 78 and79 on raw organic honey.[quote]Our raw honey is never heated over 115 degrees F.and is only strained,never filtered.Price $11.68 per pound$,per gal.$90.70.I don!t heat my honey and I do strain it and sometimes filter it before I bottle it,wouldn!t that be considered raw organic honey?I!m sure most of you do the samething.I guess I!ve been giving it away at $12.00 a quart ,but I don!t think my customers think so.I might just take this catalog with me to the farmers market next wed.and have some fun.

I think "organic" is the key here.

It's nearly impossible to produce organic honey, you have no control over where the bees go, so if you can (not sure what the stipulations are) I'm sure it's worth a bundle.

At the end of the day I bet mine tastes just as sweet though...

K

Must be from Brazil or Australia?
    Last edited by Ian; 09-05-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

[QUOTE=brooksbeefarm;349936]I was looking through the Glory Bee Honey catalog pages 78 and79 on raw organic honey.
    Our raw honey is never heated over 115 degrees F.and is only strained,never filtered.Price $11.68 per pound$,per gal.$90.70.I don!t heat my honey and I do strain it and sometimes filter it before I bottle it,wouldn!t that be considered raw organic honey?I!m sure most of you do the samething.I guess I!ve been giving it away at $12.00 a quart ,but I don!t think my customers think so.I might just take this catalog with me to the farmers market next wed.and have some fun.
    115 degrees isn't RAW.

Unless your bees forged only on certified organic acreage the honey they produce isn't organic.

You strain it and sometimes filter it? What do you mean by each of those terms, strain and filter? My understanding is that straining is done through a cloth or wire mesh and that filtering is don't trough a medium like diatomatious earth or ceramic.

So, if I understand correctly how you handle your honey, between the comb and the jar, it seems like it would be alright to call your honey "Strained and Unheated Honey",and perhaps "Organically Produced" if you've never used any medications or chemical mite controls in your colonies. Your methods may be organic, but the honey isn't. IMO.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Must be from Brazil or Aulstralia?
    Glorybee is out of Eugene, OR. http://www.glorybee.com

http://www.glorybee.com/glorybeehoney/OrganicHoney.html

Matt

Default Just a thinking...LOOK OUT!

[QUOTE=brooksbeefarm;349936]I was looking through the...catalog on raw organic honey...Price $11.68 per pound...gal.$90.70 I don!t heat my honey and I do strain it...wouldn!t that be considered raw organic honey? QUOTE]

Just a Thinking…LOOK OUT!
    An interesting article appeared today on the Center for Consumer Freedom web sight. Organic food sales in the UK have hit the skids, and I haven’t heard of anyone dying in Britten from eating organic “maters”, peppers, cilantro, green onions, lettuce, strawberries, apple juice, and spinach like here in the states either. The reason given for “organic food” falling out of favor with the English is price resistance. Someone posted on Beesource that they saw “organic” honey from either Brazil or Argentina? The National Honey Board reports that the USA is unable to purchase much South American honey now because of the relative weakness of our Dollar compared to the Euro. Can’t say I blame Argentina for selling to their old friends back in Germany if the German money buys more.

Wait a minute! Isn’t Europe the Father Land of the “organic” food movement? Then why is’t Europe buying all this super expensive “organic” honey from South America, if it truly is organic? I Just Want To Know. With all the unethical paper work generated to get impure Chinese honey imports past US customs, how do we know this Argentine honey is not actually from Greenland, the South Pole, or Mars? Now I know why we call it customs. The people running our customs houses are a-custom to the same old routine. If the drug cartels can ship tons and tons of cocaine past customs, the DHLS, the FBI, the DEA, and the DOD etc, just how difficult can it be to get un-organic turnips or honey in? Several years ago, I saw a documentary on China. I forget the province, but it is an area of steep hilly terrain. This area is renowned for its pears. The land there is good for growing little else. Previously, under Mao’s governmental supervision, the farmers used enough pesticides that now not one solitary bee can survive little less a hive of social insects, indeed not one honey bee has been seen in the whole province for twenty years. These people now hand pollinate their entire pear crop. I would bee interested in knowing how many tons of Chinese honey has been imported into the USA from this Chinese province sans bees. What Say You? I.J.W.T.K?

IMHO the way to solve CCD is to help North American beekeepers on all levels realize a good return on their investment. My humble research suggests the problem is PCD, (Profit Collapse Disorder) or GM Foods (Government Meddling with Foods). WSY?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

I pay $5.75 for 14 ounces at my local health food store, if that's any help.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Default organic honey

Sqkcrl,I was quoting what I read in the glory bee catalog.I do not or would not ever advertize my honey as organic.From what I!ve heard and read,to have organic honey you would have to live on an island in the middle of the ocean with your hives and be in complete control of what comes in.What I was trying to get across is,if they can claim they sell raw organic honey most of us should be a shoe in with our honey.I don!t know why someone hasn!t challenged their claim?I don!t heat my honey,I strain my honey through a double stainless steel strainer for some people who claim they get bits of pollen this way for their allergies.I filter my honey the same way except I put 2 layers of chiffon between the double strainer,most of my customers want it this way.Sorry you didn!t understand,or maybe I didn!t word it right. Hey Scrape,I read your post your right on!

>>GM Foods (Government Meddling with Foods).

Not likely the cause of CCD, absolutely no pattern found.

>>Brazil or Argentina

Brazil or Australia,
    Didnt say it was right, just suggesting alot of organic production comes from those countries, apperently.
    Last edited by Ian; 09-05-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Ian

[QUOTE=Ian;350085]>>GM Foods (Government Meddling with Foods).

I included canada. Last I sead Ya'lls still part of Nawth America.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Yet still no connection between GM foods and CCD,?
    Further yet, still no official diagnosis of CCD,
    www.stepplerfarms.com

brooksbeefarm,
    Thanks for the reply. Now I ubderstand better what you were talking about.

Not to argue the point too much, but both of your methods are straining, not filtering. These are technical terms. Filtering will tale more than just the wax particals out of your honey. It will also remove the pollen grains and real fine filtering will remove the color too.

But there's nothing wrong w/ using the terms the way you do when talking about your honey. I'm sure it's just what your customers want.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    Sqkcrl,I was quoting what I read in the glory bee catalog.I do not or would not ever advertize my honey as organic.From what I!ve heard and read,to have organic honey you would have to live on an island in the middle of the ocean with your hives and be in complete control of what comes in.What I was trying to get across is,if they can claim they sell raw organic honey most of us should be a shoe in with our honey.I don!t know why someone hasn!t challenged their claim?I don!t heat my honey,I strain my honey through a double stainless steel strainer for some people who claim they get bits of pollen this way for their allergies.I filter my honey the same way except I put 2 layers of chiffon between the double strainer,most of my customers want it this way.Sorry you didn!t understand,or maybe I didn!t word it right. Hey Scrape,I read your post your right on!
    organic honey would actually be impossible today, even the rain water has acid and other things in it.
    I really get upset when the farm next to us is selling veggies as organic when they used the same fertlizers and chemicals as we did for yrs. maybe in 500 yrs it might be organic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yet still no connection between GM foods and CCD,?
    Further yet, still no official diagnosis of CCD,
    still no official diagnosis of CCD, but it dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bees made it for hundreds of yrs before man turned the world into a spinning hericide,pesticide ball. Money is the name of the game, when monsanto,bayer and their lobbists find another way to make money, our law makers might wake up.

They may be making money off of agrabusiness, dont forget that agribusiness is supplying the food for the world to eat. Was it just not this last winter we found ourselves short on food? Our reserves are small, and cropping isnt as predictable as the traders seem to think. The world is boosting our stocks this year with a good surplus of grains, thanks again to the work and technology developments of these companies in question.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by 10hive View Post
    still no official diagnosis of CCD, but it dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bees made it for hundreds of yrs before man turned the world into a spinning hericide,pesticide ball. Money is the name of the game, when monsanto,bayer and their lobbists find another way to make money, our law makers might wake up.
    I believe that we need to look inward, as well as outward, for the "causes" of CCD related mortality. Before 1984 beekeepers never put pesticides in their hives. Since then beekeepers have put all sorts of chemicals in their hives to "control" pests. Some responsibly, some not so much so. Many for economic reasons.

It is in those pesticide producers nature to produce pesticides. The pesticide users should be using, or not using, those pesticides responsibly.

Oh, yeah, it's probably more acurate to say "made it for" millions of years. Just a thought.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Default Organic honey

The govt. still hasn't set an organic standard for honey. Can you use plastic foundation? Does the wax foundation have to be organic? Who sells that? Finally; A company in San Diego will give you an organic certification without seeing your operation for $250.00 The CDFA marketing rules say you can sell up to $6000.00 worth of honey per year and call it organic. Isn't it great.