Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Info on Brazilian Pepper needed.......

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 ·
Does anyone know more about Brazilian Pepper?

When it blooms and what it looks like?

How long does it stay in bloom?

I just got a new location over near Titusville and I know there is a lot of Brazilian Pepper around there, but I'm not even sure I know what is looks like.

#3 ·
Troy, just staring to bud, usually comes in by first of Oct. but last year it was blooming middle of Sept. Bees really love it, excellent winter buildup, some years I make more pepper tree honey than any thing else. If your going into heavy tree area be ready for major flow. Its a beautifull honey...bright yellow....has a mild "tang" to it, some people love it some hate it, it sells as bakery grade. You'll love the bright yellow wax. Can't think of a good way to describe, Melborne is so thick with the stuff just look for the most prominie small tree....large bush, grows all down both sides of 95, very green,very lush. the bloom varies ..... but 3 to 4 weeks is a good average. Look for hundreds of tiny buds on end of limbs.

#6 ·
I'll have to see if I can find seeds.
I would think twice about that... The Brazilian Pepper Tree is aggressively invasive.

I don't know what the rule is in NC or TX, but here in FL the dissemination of the Brazilian Pepper Tree is strictly prohibited, as is the "possession, collection, transportation, cultivation, and importation" thereof. I would doubt it were much different elsewhere.

See, 62C-52.003 (5) and the list it references at 62C-52.011 (1).

Here's a link http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/invaspec/2ndlevpgs/perrules.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.