Thread: Escape boards ?

Default Escape boards ?

Just wondering how good they work for you folks? I have heard of bee escapes that drop into an inner cover, but not these.
    How long does it take to clear the super? How many supers should you clear at once? Are they any better or worse than other methods?

Sarge

Smile

just used one for the first time the last two weeks, I only have 3 hives. worked good. I put the board on and came back 2 days later. I think there may have been 6 bees on all the suppers. I WILL USE THEM FOR NOW ON

I used plastic escapes that pop in the inner cover hole-I like them. When I pulled my supers I only had one bee in one super. I like them! If I was pulling supers from an outyard I might not like the two trips needed. Cool nights seem to really make them work quick (overnight) but I use them for two days then pull the supers.

trianglar escape boards are nice if you only have a couple of hives. I used them when I had just a few hives. The one thing you need to remember is make sure the super is sealed up so robber bees cant get in. there is no way for the hive to protect the honey above the escape once they have moved down. I prefer to use bee quick and a leaf blower its a lot faster.

>Just wondering how good they work for you folks?

Fair.

> I have heard of bee escapes that drop into an inner cover, but not these.

I never had a lot of luck with the porter escapes unless you make a special inner cover with about four of them in it.

>How long does it take to clear the super?

2 nights usually works pretty well. Overnight sometimes works pretty well.

> How many supers should you clear at once?

As many as you like.

> Are they any better or worse than other methods?

I think that depends on what you want to put in your hive, what time of year you want to harvest and how many you want to do. The down side is moving the supers so many times. You end up putting them off, put on the escape and putting them back on. Unless you want to put a bottom board down with an escape on that and stack them once onto the bottom board.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have used the triangular escape boards with good results if I'm in no hurry.
    Leaving them 2 days seems to work for me. If you leave them much longer than 2 days, the bees will learn how to re-enter the supers.

I like to empty two or three supers at once by lifting the rear of the super stack and sliding the board under the bottom super. This way, the supers are still glued together so that robbers cannot enter.

My experience with Porter Bee escapes is chronicled here (Escape Reality). Perhaps they work well for other people. I'm reluctant to relearn the lesson.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Unless you want to put a bottom board down with an escape on that and stack them once onto the bottom board.
    That sounds like a great idea, I'd never thought of that myself. I'm going to try that this year, thanks Michael
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I still have and use two vintage metal bee escapes on my DE hive because they don't make a triangle escape board to fit it. They always work for me. I use triangle escape boards on my other hives.

I like the triangle escapes best of all methods. Problem is, our nights here don't get cold enough! When I do use them, I put a stand right by the honey house door, and put an escape on the stand. Then I stack all my supers from all six hives on top and put another escape on top. Then I seal all cracks where robbers can get in with masking tape. In two days, if the nights have been cool, I have empty supers. If there are still some stragglers, I blow them out with the indoor/outdoor vac.

Default escape board

Sarge, I placed a triangle escape board 5:00 last night and at 3:00pm today my two supers only had a few bees that I simply brushed off. Im real happy with the results! Mike

>I still have and use two vintage metal bee escapes on my DE hive because they don't make a triangle escape board to fit it. They always work for me. I use triangle escape boards on my other hives.

I modified a triangular one for the DE and Langstroth by adding a 3/4" board on each side and a piece of plywood in the inset on each end. That way it would fit either one.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Lightbulb escape boards

Sarge, I placed a triangle escape board at 5:00 pm on Sunday with two supers and at 3:00 pm today only had a few bees that I simply brushed off. Im pleased with the results! Mike

"I modified a triangular one for the DE and Langstroth by adding a 3/4" board on each side and a piece of plywood in the inset on each end. That way it would fit either one."

I can put supers and frames together. I don't have the tools or talent to do any other woodworking.