Default Move down that honey

I have a hive with 2 deeps and a shallow. The deeps are light, but the shallow full. I want to overwinter in just the 2 deeps. How do I get the bees to move the honey from the shallow into the deeps? Will scraping off the cappings and placing it on top of the inner cover do it?

I know that some people put an inner cover between the super and the upper deep. But personally I would think that they still have plenty of time to back fill the two deeps. usually they will stop putting honey in the supers as they get closer to clustering.

-jeff

Try turning it upside down, make sure the frames are stuck in place pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by hfrysinger View Post
    I have a hive with 2 deeps and a shallow. The deeps are light, but the shallow full. I want to overwinter in just the 2 deeps.
    Could I ask, why? They'll winter well with that honey on top, and there will be plenty of room next sprint for an expanding colony.

my choice- and i did just this last week- would be take the super for yourself and let them backfill with the fall flow. if they dont succeed by the killing frost, feed sugar. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

The queen, with brood, was in the shallow when I was taking all the honey off, so I left it for them.
    Michael - I have left 2 deeps and a shallow on for years, but was taking to heart the advise on here to leave them just the space they need, and not too much. It seems logical to give them less space to heat, but I'll bet there is not agreement on that.
    So I'll keep the 3 on this hive, and 2 on my others, and see how it goes over the winter.

Move the super to the bottom of the stack. As it gets colder and more into late fall, they'll move the honey up out of the super to above and around the broodnest. Then you can remove it or just leave it there and put it back on the top of the stack in the spring.

The nice thing about having all the same sized frames is you can just move the frames down and replace the empty ones...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF