Thread: Grease patties

Default Grease patties

It!s about that time here to treat for varroa and tracheal mites for fall.I have always used grease patties for tracheal mites but at our last club meeting some of the members said they have been hearing that hive beetles love them?I!ve never had hive beetles and don!t want to draw them in.Anyone know anything about this?I also use the powder sugar treatment.Thanks in advance.

Exclamation ...Grease

Bees are wax insects, that is to say, among the most basic of natures phylum. They produce wax as a daily thing, and they eat only simple sugars, and cannot digest complex carbohydrates like starch. For a bee to eat it, it cannot have any starches in it. Bees also cannot eat animal tissues, their body acids are not strong enough to digest the protiens in them.
    Grease is a complex stuff, made of complex carbohydrates and animal protiens. The bees may not even eat it, it may be bringing in the arch enemy of the bee, the ferocious wasp. Wasps are the terrorist of the flying insect world. They can kill and eat just about anything and scavange with the best ant troops. I would say unless you have found a way to make grease pattys out of simple sugars, that your attempts to stop anything in bees is morelike insect genocide.(ps. I like my bees, and I want them to grow big and strong, before they die... my last swarm died fighting for their home when wasps attacked. The wasps killed all of them.) NO grease thanks...brings wasps.
    Patriotically speaking...Do you know that insects have a more complex political system than we do?

Quote Originally Posted by tedstruk View Post
    . . . .Grease is a complex stuff, made of complex carbohydrates and animal protiens.
    The grease used for patties is vegetable grease like Crisco.
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Beekeep...Grease_Patties
    I have made these with wintergreen oil to put on top of the brood nest.

-BoB

I take container of Crisco and mix half Sugar and Half Crisco together and put on top of frame or two in brood box (just a dab will do). I do this when ever I'm checking on bees and find that the crisco from previous time is all but gone. I keep it in there year around. Still learning. Pembroke