Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Texas fall flow is starting

The northeast Texas fall flow is starting. My bees are bringing in nectar and storing. I was a bit surprised when I checked them because I haven't seen any heavy flights. Snow on the prairie is in full bloom and waning. Golden rod is just cranking up, mostly the short variety so far. I haven't seen any asters yet. It could be because we had 5 inches of rain the last two weeks after a heat wave in July and early August.

same here, although I would guess the start date was more like 10 days to two weeks ago.

the spell of rain created some unusual blooming here... I noted one pear tree down the road that lost it's leaves and as of yesterday was in full bloom.

also we have one common shrub type plant (haven't really id it yet) that is in full bloom and the girls seem to work it heavily during the middle of the day.

Same here too.. Lots of pollen

I thought it was only close to me where this was happening!!
    My bees are bringing tons of stuff in too! And I have a mess of white flowers in bloom too! Also, the sunflowers came come back with a vengeance since we got rain, My fruitless pears were almost bear of leves and I thought they were dying so i got 2oo ft of hose to start watering them.....The rain came and now there are flowers on them!!
    This is GREAT!!
    I'm figurin on harvesting again at the end of September but with the broomweed coming I might just wait even longer!

your friend,
    john

Default Come On, Fall Flow!

Snow on the Prairie is going strong here in NW Navarro Co. as well with the blooms just starting to fade. I haven't seen any GR bloom yet but I have mown all of my pastures. It was so dry here with months of no rain that I took advantage of the dearth to mow down all of my non-cattle forage. None of it was blooming anyway.

I probably will not harvest a fall flow but would appreciate the opportunity for the bees to put up winter stores. It's been quite dry here when everyone else to our north, east, west, and south were getting some rain. Perhaps Gustav will give us some more relief!

Default Flow? What flow?

We have had only two decent days of rain in the past 3 months and although the crabgrass has greened up nicely, everything else is pretty dry, even ragweed. The only thing we have in bloom around here is Senna, which isn't good for anything except a home-remedy laxative! I'm even hoping for some Bitterweed to get the bees heavier before year's end.
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

We've had some signficant rain here on the coast recently, but I couldn't honestly say there's much blooming, at least not yet...then again, salt prarie and marshes aren't really known for profuse flowering.

while entering a yard yesterday I discovered quite a beauty.... a passion flower. quite odd and quite magnificant.

cool aren't they

Snow on the Prairie has been going strong here too. That's about the only thing blooming good. There is a ton of stuff ready to bloom and with recent rains should be blooming soon.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

ross writes:
    cool aren't they

tecumseh: exotic, like something you might expect in a tropical rain forest.

I also noted rattle bean blooming yesterday.

So far, in some yards my bees are bringing in nectar and some are not. Have seen a lot of rattle bush blooming for the last couple of weeks and some aster/boneset. A few goldenrod are just getting started but the majority seems to be a week or so away from blooming. I have noticed the bees working mallow some during mid-day (it opens when the sun hits it and closes up by early afternoon) indicating to me that they are still a little desperate. The main fall flow here should hit in earnest within the next week or two. We had more than 8" of rain in August, so I am hoping for a pretty good flow.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

Is the honey from the Snow on the Prairie and Rattlebush edible? Or is it too fragrant, like the Doveweed?

Summer

summer:
    is doveweed = goatweed.

I am not even certain if bees work snow of the prairie or rattlebush. anyone know yea or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    summer:
    is doveweed = goatweed.

I am not even certain if bees work snow of the prairie or rattlebush. anyone know yea or nay?
    What I call doveweed is officially woolly croton, I have heard it called goatweed and hogweed as well.

http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/woolycroton.html

Snow on the Prairie and Rattlebush are listed in the USDA plant database as minor bee forage. I have seen them work both, but when goldenrod and asters bloom in the same area, they quickly abandon them.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."

The asters and broom weed are blooming now. Went out and drove around earlier and they are eveywhere.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

parts of the hill country had good rains and the fall flow is started. There used to be a chat line out of central tx. or at least the cantral, and austin bunches were always on i. Does anyone know if it is still out there?

I have a pasture of Snow on the Prarie blooming and beginning to bloom. Bees are bringing in lots of bright yellow pollen which I assume is golden rod. Watched about 10 sq yards of Snow for about 10 minutes and never saw a bee. The Snow was about 50 feet from my home apiary. Starting to see stuff bloom I have never seen before at this time of year. Amazing what a little rain at the right time will do.

I looked up passion vine in my texas wild flower book and it said it was suppose to bloom in may. What's with that?

Probably the rain after a drought. My bees are hitting it hard today. Golden rod is opening along with the snow, and a bunch of stuff I can't name. Some is Joe Pye I think.