Default OB Hive and glass

I was just wondering if anyone ever used Acrylic (Plexiglas) For their Observation Hive. And how well it worked.

Plexi works ok. It's a little harder to clean. With glass, you just scrape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Plexi works ok. It's a little harder to clean. With glass, you just scrape it.
    Those were my thoughts. I had two back in the 70's and they were glass... I have two I need glass for now and was just wondering how it would work... never thought of how easy it is to scrap glass with a razor. Thanks

I have an observation hive with plexiglass. It seems to do fine. I have only had to clean the plexiglass once and I did that in the bathtub using hot water and a paper towel. Not the best method but I didn't want scratches. I think the most important thing is to make sure the spacing between the glass and the frames is right so that they are not encouraged to build to much burr comb onto the glass.
    I chose plexiglass as I have two young kids. The image of a tennis ball, broken glass and bees in my living room is what swayed me in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Lewis View Post
    I chose plexiglass as I have two young kids. The image of a tennis ball, broken glass and bees in my living room is what swayed me in that direction.
    And you have a problem with that....becausssssssse? LOL

I got plexiglass on mine, I had it for a few weeks, it looks fine right now.

I've used Plexi and some other brand of plastic. To clean it I scrape the worst off with a rubber spatula and soak it with FGMO (mineral oil laxitive) and then after wiping off as much of that as possible with windex.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    And you have a problem with that....becausssssssse? LOL
    Just thinking of the bees! The kids would be fine. A good lesson for them in Darwinism. Survival of the fittest you know. Especially when they realize they have to get the tennis ball. Also, propolis on tennis balls usually messes up my backhand spin shot.

I haven't removed my glass for about three to four months now and it is looking pretty sealed in there. Don't know if glass removal is a factor in deciding what material to use. Some one with more experience got a comment on that aspect? I have heard that petroleum jelly down the edge of the glass is a good idea to stop them building comb and propolis and sealing it in. I know it isn't going to be easy to get my glass out when necessary.
    Last edited by Julian Lewis; 09-01-2008 at 11:30 AM.

I use glass in mine.

It is 5 deep frames with doors on each side, each door has two panes of glass when I want to clean the glass I open the door on one side and use a razor scraper to clean the glass and a paper towel with water.

The O hive is in my shop so if some bees get out its not like having one in the house besides my Queen said NO to inside the house so I have B TV in the shop.

I have worked out a system for opening the doors I shine a light on one side turn out the lights in the shope and open the door (on the opiste side) verry slowly and most of the time I get verry few bees in the shop and when I do I just open the door to outside and they fly out.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape