Default The What Would You Charge Thread...

Hi Everyone,
    Well I'm off to a local event where I'm going to (try) selling some honey. I usually just give this stuff away to family and friends, but I have a little extra. What would you charge for this jar (it's just a standard queenline glass). Also be a little critical... e.g. does it look good/bad/tacky/etc.
    Many Thanks, Matthew
    PS I do know my writing has a typo with the parentheses... that has been taken care of.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16307997@N00/2807440474/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/16307997@N00/2806593103/

Looks good, kinda of a rich feeling with the gold. I charge $4.00 for 16 oz.

Well Schmidt, I don`t see anything wrong with the jar per se. But the honey looks like it`s starting to crystallize already (as per your warning on the top). I would heat it up before selling it. Also, the jar is not full. Up here in Ottawa we get 8.00 to 10.00 dollars for a kilo (2.2 lbs) for grade A white.

Default mispelling

"Northern" is miss-spelled on the lid.

Smile

It's right. Nowthen, Minnesota is a community by that name; somewhat 'north' of Minneapolis I guess. That would have been awful if all those nice labels had been misspelled. The honey looks good to me.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 08-28-2008 at 08:20 PM.

I charge $5 per lb plus the price of the glass container. I figure the glass costs me almost a dollar each once I include the shipping, so for that jar I'd charge $6.

In keeping with the green movement, I offer folks $1 off their next purchase if they bring me back the jar. I just toss the lids and run them (the jars) thru the dishwasher and use them again.

I also agree with the previous post, that the jar is not properly filled. It should be above the line and weigh a minimum of 1 lb. Some honey is more concentrated and therefore more dense, so I just barely fill to the line in that case and assure people that they weigh out properly.
    Last edited by Troy; 08-28-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    Troy

Laws vary by state, but in NC the weight must be on the label.

Here in OK I sell my 1lb jars for $6.00 and don't have any trouble getting rid of it. The label law here is that the word Honey has to be the biggest writing and that there is 2 weights listed, plus name and address of producer or packer. For your first time out selling, just go for it. Bee proud of the product that you and the girls make.
    23 Springs Honey Farm ~ The Bees Know

Big Grin Fancier the better...

I hate plain mo,, dumb jane labels....

That should say...
    "Stingers Unlimited"
    "Nowthen MS"
    "Abeja Jugo"
    "Honey"
    and have a picture of a jet airliner puking in a honey cell ....
    Patriotically speaking...Do you know that insects have a more complex political system than we do?

Thanks for the responses everyone... Yes I agree that this one is a little low. I will add a bit more before I go out and sell. Also, I will get rid of those darn crystals. Thanks!

Default Nowthen MN

For your information Nowthen is a small farming village, population 312

l

for your informat

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    .... so for that jar I'd charge $6.
    Ditto.

I would also suggest you are a little cheap. Here we must include net wt.; you might check on your state labeling laws. Also, I include a product warning "do not feed to children under one year of age".

I really like your packaging!!

I'd get what you can. Early in the year before the first flow, I was getting $8 per pound (the bottle came with a recipe book, etc.). For 1/2 pound I was getting $4.50. Now, I get $3.50 for 1/2 pound and $6.50 for a pound. Most of the sales were to people who wanted pure, local honey and knew that it came at a premium price. Word of mouth, mostly. At a fair, etc., the competition is out there and you'll need to be much more competitive. Again, charge what you can!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Looking good, except, Is that wax that I'm seeing in the top of the jar? Ditto to all of the other advise you've gotten so far.

One poster mentioned "getting rid of". We SELL honey, we don't get rid of it. That's just my picky point of view.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Worth $6.00

$6.00 pound
    $11.00 two pounder
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Check out your local grocery store and charge the same as they do or a little more.

I wholesale 1 pound jars for $2.50 and the stores sell them for from 45% to 100% more.

Sell YOUR honey. Tell potential customers where it came from and show your pride in your product w/out being snooty and w/out cutting down anyone elses honey. Sell the Local is Better idea. Share your enthusiasm for what you are doing. It helps the sales.

If you enjoy talking w/ strangers about you bees and beekeeping you won't have much inventory for very long and people will come back to the market looking for you and your honey. Have fun.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Looking good, except, Is that wax that I'm seeing in the top of the jar? Ditto to all of the other advise you've gotten so far.

One poster mentioned "getting rid of". We SELL honey, we don't get rid of it. That's just my picky point of view.
    Once again I thank everyone for their responses. I was going through my boxes and realized that I snapped a photo of last years crop which has already been uncrystallized once. That is not wax but some crystallizing honey on the top. This stuff really seems to solidify quick! I think I will charge $6 for those jars. Thanks!