Hybrid View

Question Central IN,IL beeks when do you fall feed ??

I am wondering when people, who are going to feed syrup and pollen if needed, are going to start ? My hives are pretty light; it has been a lean year here.

I'm in west central Wisco but I think my advice will apply. Once day time temps fall under 60F the bees may not take syrup as they are clustered.

When will that happen this year?

Its been a cool summer up here and I would expect a cool, early fall.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/index.php

If they are light why wait ? start feeding soon.

Now is the time to treat for varroa if you have data indicating you have a high mite load.

Quote Originally Posted by spunky View Post
    I am wondering when people, who are going to feed syrup and pollen if needed, are going to start ? My hives are pretty light; it has been a lean year here.
    You're just a couple counties west of me. It's always interesting how different the conditions over relatively short distances. Last summer I had a lean year and it seemed everyone around me was having great harvests. This has been my best year and you're lean.

I'll echo what Bud said: if they're light, start feeding now. You want strong colonies now to raise the bees that will go thru winter.

And do check for mite loads. This is the time of year that mite counts typically spike. I've been treating with powdered sugar the last three weeks.

Are you involved with the Sugar Creek Beekeepers? If not, contact steve@cozynestfarm.com for info. I know several beeks in that club - good people.

Default feeding

Thanks for the replys; the soybeans across the road are about ready to flower, so I was holding off, of course since it has only rained a 1/4" here all August I am not really sure if it will matter.