Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Not A Good Week

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PerryBee 
#1 ·
:mad: First the Bottling tank debacle and now this. Just set up at the Farmers market and half an hour in my wife pulls up and says someone phoned, one of my yards has been vandalized! She took over and I left to survey the damage. Three of four of my strongest hives were laying there, thousands of dead bees, outer covers upside down full of water. Apparently this was noticed on Tuesday but no one notified me till this morning. I'm hopeful the queens are OK as well as the frames of capped brood but I'm not too sure if the open brood will survive?
I had been asked to provide a couple of hives for Ross Conrads seminar on the sixth and seventh and to have them there a week ahead of time so they could settle in. I guess these hives are no longer good candidates:( I feel that I must move this yard as they may return. Should I wait a week and look for eggs and if OK then move them or is this too soon?
Of all the problems I have encountered Beeking this was one I hadn't expected!

#3 ·
And dont forget to setup the vibration sensor activated shotgun traps :mad: Unbelieveable how people behave when not being "kept in line". Sorry to hear about your loss.

Why do you say "vandalized"? Are you sure it wasnt bear or other critter?

#4 ·
Wayne These hives have been flipped, no animals other than the human kind.. When I phoned the local police they told me a fire truck had been sent out that same night to an area just in behind my yard. Someone had set some woods on fire and it had gone out before they got there.
Anyone who has had this done before ( or even bear damage ) I am wondering what the survival rate might be? I am not sure if I will have lost the brood. The bees were covering all that they could considering. Both my feet are some swollen as I didn't take time to put on proper foot wear. Can't blame the girls, I hope whoever did this took a few as well.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.