Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Oriental Hornet? which one?

Is this the Oriental Hornet you are talking about? AKA /Vespa orientalis
    http://animalpicturesarchive.com/vie...=46500&lang=kr

Or is this the Oriental Hornet you are talking about? AKA /Vespa Mandarinia
    http://animalpicturesarchive.com/vie...=25752&lang=kr

I just realized your in Greece, if you have hornets that we are not familiar with it would be in your best interest to contact someone nearby that keeps bees. From what I have read the Vespa Mandarinia will take down a hive pretty fast.
    Also, when I set out the traps I did not check them for a week or two, You may not have had them out long enough. Ive not seen bees in the trap until it started to stink.

They're orientalis and they can be a big problem here. The guy I bought the bees off lost 17 hives to them one year. They seem to be strictly insect eaters. I've had traps out till they stink and they just collect flys.

Default Woooo Hoooo !!!

Temperatures down to the low 20's now (centigrade ) and we've had rain and the hornets have gone............... And. I've still got the girls.

I've had a queen excluder below the brood box and queen excluder wire mesh across the entrance and fed the hive every few days. If ever there were hornets hanging around when I passed the hive I hosed them with the water hose. Oddly enough they didn't like that even during a drought and I'm sure the bees could use the water. So now the defences come down and we're back to normal. I need to make sure we've got a super strong colony ready for next years attack.

Are you using the traditional wide-open entrances? I always feel these are too big, and least for British colonies. I have hives on mesh floors, with permanently reduced entrances. Few wasps find them, they're easy to defend, and I often find more dead wasps than dead bees outside hives. I did have problems with one hive this year, but that was because they were finding their way through a crack into the top box. At the slightest sign of problems, I tack a piece of card across the entrance, leaving enough room for one bee to pass. This is easily chewed back if the bees want more space, but they never seem to open it right up.
    RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Hi Robert,

Like the locals I'm using Langstroth and I always keep the entrance reduced to about 4 inches. The hornets I've had problems with are Oriental hornets. I've never seen the bees despatch one, they seem too tough for the bees to sting. From what I've seen on the net the only way bees can kill them is by balling themselves around the hornet and smothering them although I've never seen it done. It's strange to see these hornets in action. It's as though the bees don't see them as a threat. The hornets hang around the entrance of the hive and the bees just ignore them while the hornets pick up the bees and fly off with them. When the weather was in the high 30's the bees would stay at home and the hornets would then go in the entrance to the hive. That's when I started using the queen excluder to keep them out. As far as humans are concerned the hornets are really easy going when they are away from the nest. I've killed countless hornets and when you miss them they don't come back to get you they just fly off.

Default hornets

i have a tree behind my house with a hornet nest in it and i see hornets stealing my bees. I sprayed an entire can of hornet killer into that tree and figured it was done. I found hornets wrything on the ground 100yds from the tree after spraying. then recently i noticed they were using the tree again. So i sprayed another entire can into the tree. It's not killing the hive. Should i just wait until dark and staple some screening over the hornet hive entrance? It's 10-12 feet off the ground.
    -M@

no experience but what I've read of the oriental hornet is that to get the nest it's a full suit job and bag it up otherwise they go for your throat. In my case it wasn't possible to find the nest due to the jungle in the surrounding land. If you can tough it out it seems the weather is a big factor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12