Default Aerial spraying for West Nile virus...questions about hive safety

Hi guys,

I live in an area where they're spraying "Resmethrin, a synthetic pyrethroid product" to knock out adult mosquito populations that could be spreading the West Nile virus in our area. Does anyone know what should be done about the bees? Close up the hives?

Spraying time is 8pm--12am, and I figured that the bees will be in the hive and safe. Supposedly the stuff dissipates in 30 minutes. As long as it's dissipated by sunup, I figure I'd be allright. They advise everyone to remain inside during spraying times and such, however there was only a notice in the newspaper, nothing on radio or TV (who reads the newspaper anymore?). A local township watch group actually caught it and sent it around to the registered members of the watch group. Interesting times.

Comments, suggestions, and ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

JAK

In light of the time of the spraying, your girls are probably safe, but it might be advisable to throw a damp sheet over the hive(s) to keep any errant spray out. That's what I've been advised to do regarding aerial spraying.

As a registered beekeeper in Pennsylvania, you should of also been notified through the department of Agriculture. I am notified several times per year as they spray in different townships that I have apiaries listed. Since you had not been notified by the Department of Ag, I would let them know by calling the state apiarist so your information can be updated.

With the times listed, I would not worry about the bees, at least not from direct spray.

Default Thanks, breathing easier

Thanks guys,

I'll drape a damp sheet over the hives, and take a look for any large amount of dead bees in the next day or so.

Appreciate the quick reply. I'll also try to figure out why I wasn't notified. I went to a local Montgomery country beekeepers meeting yesterday also, and no one thought to bring up that point! I'll check their website info...

Thanks,

JAK

I had not thought of this...... I'm in Orlando and after FAY went though last week we have standing water everywhere.

I imagine mosquito born viruses will be a big concern now.

I reemember reading on a previous thread that the bees are generally safe from overhead spraying IF they are inside. If they are hanging out on the outside though the writer reported large losses.

Well, here in Orlando, it is still very warm at night and some populous hives are bearding out all night long.

I am very concerned. I will call mosquito control, and make sure that they will notify me. They should, as I am registered, but they have no idea where my bees are.
    Troy

Information for Protecting Honey Bees During Mosquito Spray Programs
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no.../mosquito.html

Are they under trees? You boys keep the spraying down your way.