Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OldScout View Post
    What if the spraying was a few years ago? I can understand contamination from a recent spraying but does anyone know the impact if the spraying was, say, two or three years ago?
    I figure if the bees are surviving on the comb, it is probably safe now. But it should be culled at the first possibility. The cutout I did the honey tasted bad anyway so I wouldn't eat that.

Many of the wasp spray type pesticides have a fairly short halflife.

A lot of comments that could be interpreted as selfish here.
    There is a profesional beekeeper and an amature one. The last dose it for the love of the insect and the first for the profit.
    I did a cutout last night for only $20 and I would do it again for the right person and location.
    The left bees should get a chance to start in a new hive.

Thanks AndreiRN. You do get it.

4th year beek, did a cutout 2 months ago, in a 750k home, brought a flir gun from work, located the hive in a 3rd story bedroom ceiling. Cut out the drywall removed the hive, and the owners gripped because the plastic they layed down leaked honey onto there carpet. Didnt charge a penny, for the love a bees and got a dirty look from the homeowners.

Won't happen again, their probably thinking of sueing me..

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiRN View Post
    There is a profesional beekeeper and an amature one. The last dose it for the love of the insect and the first for the profit.
    I did a cutout last night for only $20 and I would do it again for the right person and location.
    I don't get it.

A lot of comments that could be interpreted as self righteous here.

How can anyone assume that since a beek is 'Professional' they don't love their 'insects'?

The 'left' bees should get a chance to start in a new hive? What does that mean? Chemically contaminated sick and dieing bees need an new home? You really don't get it either.

Here is a lesson for new beeks; Sick and dieing bees that have been sprayed are a waste of time and resources. And if they are brought into your apiary you risk the health of your bees as well.
    Last edited by BULLSEYE BILL; 08-28-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Default whats it take to make people think

I wouldnt call getting payed for your services selfish. If I didnt love bees I wouldnt be putting in the hours or money I do taking care of them and working a full time job outside of bees. I have 10 cutout hives in the back yard that I am trying to baby into productive hives. None have been poisoned by the home owner. I have lost almost that many trying to make them live. I run 75 productive hives in out yards. And no I dont consider myself a professional bee keeper. If someone is doing cutouts free to help the bees or to get free bees. They are setting themselves back when it comes to beekeeping. With nucs at $75.00 ea. it would be a lot more productive and cheaper to go the nuc route. When I do cutouts on contaminated hives which as said earlier I charge double I bring a vac turn it on full power and suck up the remaining contaminated bees put them in a heavy garbage bag and seal it off . I use a bucket with a sealed lid to haul off the honey and comb. when I get home I render down the wax and wash the honey down the drain. I got a bucket full of contaminated wax that I cant use sealed up. why do I do this because I love bees and dont want my bees or someone elses contaminated by some other idiots actions. running a hospital for sick bees is a loosing proposition before long your healthy hives are going to be sick as well. Would you want someone moving in next to your house with a highly contageous life threatening health problem. I wonder what your bees think when you move the sick poisoned bees into there neighborhood. And then if they only knew you loved them so much you allowed the sick ones to move in for free. Heck it wasnt even free you payed the relocation fee. The healthy hives you have will feel the love you possess for them sooner or later.

Beavious and you just dont get it.
    Last edited by riverrat; 08-28-2008 at 07:50 AM.

do you mean the bees left behind after you did a cutout? unless you left the queen there, no dice....only angry bees.

deknow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12