Thread: August Swarms

Default August Swarms

I have gotten quite a few phone calls this year about swarms. More so than usual, it seems.

I got another call yesterday from a guy who says that a swarm moved into his attic near the chimney. He wanted to know if I'd come get it. I don't do removals. I also got a call from a first year beekeeper who had what he thought was a swarm issueing from his one colony. He got into the hive and found a number of queen cells.

What struck me is that we are in late August and having swarms here in Northern NY. I know we often have fall swarms, but isn't it early for that? And shouldn't the summer swarm season be over?

I wish these critters would read the same books and Web Forums that the rest of us do.

What's going on in your neck of the woods?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Hi Mark,

I JUST posted my experience with a swarming Russian colony here in NH. Maybe it's a result of the summer we've had so far?

Bill

####################

I get stung, therefore I smoke

Default Swarms

I should not say this but it has been at least 30 years since I have seen a swarm in the wild. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bnatural View Post
    Hi Mark,

I JUST posted my experience with a swarming Russian colony here in NH. Maybe it's a result of the summer we've had so far?

Bill

####################

I get stung, therefore I smoke
    Yeah, I saw your thread. I don't have any theories on those Russians other than they like to sting somewhat more, in general.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I wonder if the weather influenced this last round of swarms. We had several weeks of very rainy weather when my bees couldn't fly much. Then the weather cleared for a few days and I got 4 swarm calls in one day. Could crowding due to bad weather stimulate swarming?

I think I lost a swarm as well. I was hearing piping for several days coming out of one of my hives that I just requeened in July. I found a couple of queen bodies outside on the ground. Neither one was marked. I finally was able to get into the hive this weekend. There were numerous queen cells that were opened at the tip or had holes torn in the sides. There were a lot less bees in the hive and I spotted a queen hiding on the bottom board. She was not marked either. I thought they were just superceding the new queen but it seems like she took off.

Question I just got a swarm call yesterday form Ashland, KY

I picked up a small but healthy swarm from a dogwood tree in a woman's front yard. I am feeding them because it's so late in the year. If a 'swarm in July ain't worth a fly...' then what's a 'swarm in August' worth??? -Danno

As a second year beek, I have had 24 swarm and removal calls, this year. Most have been in the last couple of months. Last week was a swarm the size of a football. Talking to some of the older, more experianced, beekeepers, in my area, they say that this year has been crazy with swarms. I had 2 hives swarm but was lucky enough to get them back. I made the mistake of doing a couple of removals for free and the call never stopped. I got several nice hives out of the calls but I think that next year, I will stray away from the removals. That is alot of work, more than I thought it would be. Marc
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Default swarms

mark,what ever the reason I am getting more than usual amount of swarm calls? Cut out calls are about the same as last year.
    Missed a huge swarm yesterday,late call by home owner.Got there and started to set-up when it took flight!
    bob

I am glad that you guys are getting them...I have caught only one this year. 45 miles east of me, the club is getting 40-60 calls a month, though...Oh well, those are the breaks, I guess.

From an article in the Athens Banner Herald, Athens, GA earlier this year.

Now another problem may be on the rise, however, Hart said - abnormal bee swarms.
    Bees naturally swarm when colonies get too big and part of a colony's workers leave with a queen.
    But this spring, more than half of Hart's hives swarmed - leaving about a third of his hives without queens. Beekeepers from other parts of the country have seen the same thing, Hart said.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0706...80706053.shtml
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default August swarms

Had dozens of swarm calls this year to many too handle or hive on my own so refered them to other beekeepers. Thought it was over until yesterday, got a call from a guy who had a swam 30 ft. up his pine tree.

Quote Originally Posted by LtlWilli View Post
    I am glad that you guys are getting them...I have caught only one this year. 45 miles east of me, the club is getting 40-60 calls a month, though...Oh well, those are the breaks, I guess.
    40-60 call a month still? Wow. Do they not send any of those calls your way?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Smile Me Too

Me and the beek down the road have received swarm calls this year in August. He picked one up two days ago. These have not been big swarms.

He has been doing this for 40-50 years .... he doesn't know whats up with this year.

He plans on taking honey off late this year.

Maybe the bees know something ... or maybe they are just bots with limited programming and have read an incorrect signal.

Thank God they found me. I will give them 1:1 sugar and lecture them on their foolish ways.

I'm like Bill Clinton with women when it comes to swarms ..... I just can't say no.