Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I found 2 on my dill plants tonight. I want to collect them and bring them home to watch and release them. My 3.5 yr old daughter will love this. What do you feed them. I don't have any milk weed. My dill plant is really young and 10 miles away. Is there something store bought I can buy to keep them feed?

I saw a couple of Butterflys at my garden a few weeks ago. But I have never seen the catapiller. I was out picking some fresh dill to make pickles tonight and saw them. Pretty cool stuff. I think they just hatched too. They are only about an inch long and skinny, but have the markings of a MBC.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default monarchs

To my knoledge,monarch butterflys only lay eggs on milkweed. That is it's host plant the caterpillars eat. Sure wish you had some around. The caterpillars here, that like dill, are swallowtails. Black swallowtails like it best. Also I grow parsley as a host plant for them. Both do fine. I grow them primarily for swallowtails. The same with milkweed. I rear both monarchs and swallowtails. Kinda like what you are lookin to do. I find a caterpillar on the plant,and put it and plant material in a vented container. A ziplock disposable works fine. Just punch a few small holes in the top. Cool to watch thru till crystalis/coccoon. Emerges in about 10 days...facinating to watch. I also tag the monarchs. Reared and tagged 6 and reared one swallowtail last year. ck out www.monarchwatch.org for more info on monarchs.

Thanks Carl. Your are correct. It is a Swallowtail. To my untrained eye and unexperianced knowledge in Butterflys I thought it was a Monarch. Good to know and thanks for the link. I will get some and post some pics of them tomorrow after we get them.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: Raising Monarch Butterflys

A also understand that monarch butterflys only lay eggs on milkweed. I've never personally got one for myself but have read a lot about them.

All the best!

welp...if your good with it...i'll send ya some seeds.....not long before they bloom here...i'll grab ya a seed pod afterwards.....in this area? ,it looks like big cottonwood when they fly.....pick em outta the pod n put em where ya like....you wont see them till next year tho... Carefull...invaseive....i sowed a few seeds a few years back.......now?...how much is milk a gallon?hehe

Her in Toledo we have the www.Butterfly-house.com what a nice place to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    I found 2 on my dill plants tonight. I want to collect them and bring them home to watch and release them. My 3.5 yr old daughter will love this. What do you feed them. I don't have any milk weed. My dill plant is really young and 10 miles away. Is there something store bought I can buy to keep them feed?

Swallowtails are just as cool! I like the little smelly horns that they stick out when you upset them

You can feed them carrot greens too, I think.

I've never raised them to butterflies, though...monarchs are so easy.

I have 3 Swallowtails right now. They ate a lot of fresh dill. They are now in their cocoon or chrysalis. I am patiently waiting for them to emerge. Pretty cool stuff!
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 06-24-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Unnecessary to quote post adjacent to your own

Released 2 of the 3 Black Swallowtails. One on Sunday and one this morning. Here are a couple of pics of them.

In the words of my 3.5 yr old. Bye Bye Mr. Butterfly.

I found this documentary on migration.
    It starts off with excellent coverage of the Monarch.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/63304/amaz...-and-Biography
    Enjoy.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123