Default How to get a swarm out of siding/decking?

ok. i have a friend who has a fairly robust hive at work in the entryway of their home. he is over it, since he keeps getting stung when he comes in or out of the house. annoying to say the least...
    what is the best approach to getting the bees out?
    How do I get them ready for winter with so little Montana summer left?
    Can I rip out a lot of comb and place it near by for them to take back to the hive?
    I also have another hive at my home and about two dozen commercial hives within a mile, that have already proved happy to rob my bees.
    I am a bit clueless on this one. Help!?

If he has another entrance or exit to the house have him use it for about another 30 days. The bees will cluster when it gets cold and wont be a problem until spring then you can remove them. Removing them this time of the year in montana your odds of them surviving is very small especially if you dont get the queen.

Quote Originally Posted by montanabee View Post
    "...Can I rip out a lot of comb and place it near by for them to take back to the hive?

I also have another hive at my home and about two dozen commercial hives within a mile, that have already proved happy to rob my bees.
    I am a bit clueless on this one. Help!?"
    I agree with Riverrat, leave them until spring if you can.

To answer your question regarding the ripping out a lot of comb...the answer is no, they won't take it back.

As for the commercial hives within a mile, if they are robbing your bees, then help your bees by closing down the entrances (use entrance reducers) so they don't have to defend as large an entrance. Some of my NUC's are closed down to one bee width.

Good luck.

thanks for the advice.
    any info on how exactly we do capture them in the spring?
    I had also been told that if we took a lot of the honey comb and placed it nearby, they, and other hives, may salvage some of the honey and take it back into their hive. is that accurate?
    and how the heck to I find the queen in a wall? will it seem obvious? and what will happen to all the brood left in the wall?
    thanks

Read through some of these posts to find answers on doing a successful trapout of the bees. Contact IDDEE who is a user that posts to this forum, he has a plan with pictures of how to do a successful trapout. Good luck!

http://www.beesource.com/forums/sear...earchid=895724
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir