Question queen is now a laying worker

Hey just a simple thing went and looked at the hives got a laying worker in one hive (drone cells only) Here is my thought take the bees out away from the other hives say 200 feet and dump all the bees out with a blower of some kind maybe myl eafe blower when they the workers come back home & get a new queen.

1) is it to late to re queen?
    2)Or just let them go to the Great beyond to bee
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

Just because all your brood turns out to be drone brood, even in worker cells, does not necessarily indicate that you have laying workers. You might just have what is called a, "drone laying queen".

A hive with a drone-laying queen should be much easier to requeen than a laying worker hive.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

You won't need no blower, just shake each frame of bees off or tap a corner of the frame on the ground, the bees will all fall off. Setup a box with queen in cage in the old location first, then go out 1 or 2 hundred feet away and shake all the bees off. any frames with brood and honey can be added back to the new queenrite box after shaking the bees off.

If you don't put a box with queen in the old location, then all the bees you shake will be absorbed by your other hives giving them a workforce boost for the winter.

But Ray, the blower part sounded cool!

Paul, being to late to requeen depends on how strong the bees are and how readily available queens are. If you've got a good sized group of gals and can get a queen w/o too much trouble (or expense) I'd go ahead and try to requeen. Like Joseph Clemens said, check for a queen first, if there's one in there she's just a drone layer, knock her off and introduce your new queen. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to shake each frame out and put a completely empty box in the old location (use the same frames, but just make sure the bees are all gone).

Is this your only hive?

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Hope you find a bad queen. That's easy to deal with. Just pinch the queen and add a queen the next day.

If its laying workers, I would combine with another hive. I do not do shake outs any longer. Laying workers can fly also (not sure where that started that they can not) and many times you end up with a dead queen.

Question

Here we go I can't get a queen at this time any one close by are sold out there is still hope maybe one guy has some left.
    If not this is what I will do
    shake them out and let them go to the other hive I have 3 at this location 1 very strong hive and a good med strong. if I cant get the queen. and let them go into the other hives.

Ray say:then all the bees you shake will be absorbed by your other hives giving them a workforce boost for the winter.

My question is this If I have a laying worker will they go into my good hives?
    I feel they can still fly if they are workers
    if it is a queen then no problem Ill send her to queen bee heaven.

I will use no smoke they seem to hide and for me its hard to find her.

Are all the drone cells capped? If the only brood is capped drone they could have gone queenless and are in the process of raising/mating a new one...

Quote Originally Posted by paulnewbee1 View Post

My question is this If I have a laying worker will they go into my good hives?
    They might make it as far as the entrance, but as long as it's a decent strength hive that's as far as they'll get.

most of the cells are capped and there is two queen cell at the bottom of one frame but no royal jelly and it is not closed off

I've done shake outs a few times, never had a problem with the laying workers hurting other hives in the yard. There is the fact that the other hives in the yard were good stronger hives. The bees shaken seemed to get absorbed into the closest hive to the old location of the one being shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnewbee1 View Post
    most of the cells are capped and there is two queen cell at the bottom of one frame but no royal jelly and it is not closed off
    It's possible you have an emerged virgin in there. Are you seeing any eggs at all?

the only thing that I see is drone cells
    \
    I was out there today did not find the queen had a few old flat cells about 30 or so and about 300 drone cells I pull each frame out of the two deeps had 5 frames of drone cell could not see the queen. If there is a virgin queen I will check next week for brood. I will extract all my supers on the 6th so, I will decide to shake them at that time. And see if they go into the other two hives.
    can't get any queens for my area that is close by.

IF you have a virgin in there, next week might still be too early for her to be laying.

I will throw my 2 cents worth and since I am new at it still that is about all it is worth. I had a laing worker hive and i ttook a while but was able to save the hive by constantly adding new frames of eggs and larve froma queenrite hive. I added a frame about every 6 days or so and on the 3 or 4th frame I added they started making queen cells and raised a new healthy queen. Took some work but hive is good now.

Lanier74's approach usually worked for me too, but as he said wow it's a lot of work and trips to the apiary. I combine as Bjorn described with much better success for the effort.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    Laying workers can fly also (not sure where that started that they can not)
    They can fly, but they haven't taken their orientation flights yet, so If you shake them out far enough away from the hive, the theory is that they won't be able to find their way back. I've used the shake method and it worked, but I wasn't going to pay for a queen and the bees were apparently to old to raise their own, so the hive died out.

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary View Post
    They can fly, but they haven't taken their orientation flights yet
    I believe at some point, laying workers have been observed foraging in between egg laying.