Thread: Late supering

Default Late supering

I saw some other related posts but nothing exactly on my question... I started my first package in April in Central PA and had a great summer by my novice opinion. I had one very full super and was going to stop there (late July) and let the bees fill small remaining foundation spaces in the two deeps for wintering. On an early August inspection I had comb and nectar all over the top bars, on the inner cover, all over the place... I took that as a sign that the bees still wanted to make comb and store nectar. I put on another super on Aug. 7 as I was leaving town and would not be able to monitor the hive for 10 days. My plan is to leave the late added super on the stack for winter (or put it on the bottom and let the bees move the honey up as I have read in another post). Did I read the signs right? Anything else I should have considered doing?

Sorry for the long post. I have seen others that lack information that seem hard to respond to...

Hi Carl;

I live close to you:}:}

do you know Kerm the card shop man??

JB:}

:confused: Sorry, never heard of him. I live near Chambersburg and am very new to the beekeeping community. Is he someone I should know?

Oh my no unless you collect ball cards.

this is my first year with bee's also I now have 5 hives two real strong and 3 second year hives. sure has been lots of fun so far:}:}

here is a pic of two of my hives:

tell me what's wrong?

http://www.memorialspark.com/Bee/bee1.jpg

Colors don't match.

I don't think I would've put 'em right up against the tree like that but I guess you had your reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bees View Post
    here is a pic of two of my hives:

tell me what's wrong?
    http://www.memorialspark.com/Bee/bee1.jpg
    Looks like you have a strange configuration on hive bodies and supers cant say I have seen many in that order. What are the advantages of this configuration.

"tell me what's wrong?" -J-Bees.

Is there supposed to be something wrong? lol.

Well, I keep looking at that photo and it may be just an optical illusion because of the tree, but it looks like the hives are leaning toward the back instead of toward the front. Rain/water might flow in.

Sorry Carl F but I don't want to venture an opinion about putting the super on the bottom. The signs about "comb all over the place" and adding a super seems right.

You have them tilted back. They should be tilted towards the front so any water that gets in in or condensation that drips will run out the front.

Bill Schaefer

I hope that you don't get much rain the girl don't like to take a bath, lol

if this works for you go for it this must have been your 1st hive you should have been on BEE-SOURCE before you set that one up. (Thats the one next to the tree.

I thought you would have had more post from the pic.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

The bees are missing.
    Hey you need bees to get honey, adding supers and stuff won't help if you don't have bees...
    (tedstruk is genius in retard costume)