Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: What equipment is needed to start beekeeping?

Epi-Pen but not for each family member, especially if you don't know whether or not you're allergic. If you're going to go to that extreme you may as well have an allergy test done on each family member to see whether or not they're allergic. Using an Epi-pen simply because you got stung and it burns will cause more harm then good, the only time you should use an Epi-pen is if you're going to anaphylactic shock.

When I told my doctor we were getting into beekeeping she gladly wrote scripts for Epi's for each family member.

I was not allergic for 48-1/2 years and then at 48-1/2 years and 1 day all of a sudden I was.

An Epi-Pen will only work if you have it. It's for emergency use only, not for every sting.

When using smaller hives, a round top feeder is my suggestion.

http://theocba.org/resources/video-a...-of-an-apiary/

Good educational materials - You'll need to update the treatments a bit,

When starting out I always tell my students to start out small so can see if you will get the hang of it. Then after your first harvest you can add more if you enjoy the hobby.
    Paul Reyes the author of : Beekeeping-for-Beginners.Com

Default Re: b) First equipment & supplies to obtain

The most important thing you will need to begin is "knowledge" and lots of it The beekeeping world is always changing and it has proven to have one of the largest learning curves of any one subject I've ever studied.
    Saving Bees....One Day at a Time!!
    www.valleybeesupply.com

First buy the book beekeeping for dummy's. You can get a good copy from amizon cheep. It will give you all the basic knowledge you will need. Find your local beekeepers association . Buy your bees locally.

You right DAS getting in-touch with your local beekeeping association is a wise thing to do before you start on your hobby. The last thing you may want is buy your equipment or even bees than find out you can't raise bees in your area.

So why, if nearly all say to get a screened bottom board, do all the "starter" kits come with a solid bottom board?

Who is "nearly all?" One should start with a solid bottom board. Hives in nature don't come with screened bottoms. After you are no longer a beginner, switch to a screened bottom if you want. That way you'll have something to compare it with.
    Regards, Barry

I agree with Barry on the SBB.

For all those just getting started, buy at least a dozen hive tools. Apparently they walk off in the middle of the night.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Start out getting (or making) your protective clothing so you can begin learning from other beekeepers, and read Beesource! It has more info than any book. Pay attention to the older, more successful beekeepers, and the ones in your area.

My guiding philosophy has been to have equipment on hand, ready to house any bees I come across, be it a swarm, a cut-out, or a gift colony.

I started with a $25 table saw from a garage sale, a $25 set of dado blades, a framing square, a staple gun, a compressor, about $28 for a gallon of Titebond III wood glue, a home-buildt smoker made from 2 coffee cans, and a cut-down nail bar for a hive tool. I did fork out $60 for a bee jacket - hats & veils get you stung way too often - about 50 queen excluders, and I bought a box of foundation.

Looking back, I now consider a frame grip an essential tool, and my strong preference is for a J-hook type hive tool, though I carry a 90 angle one also. A metal bucket is a darn good idea to keep you smoker from starting something on fire. A flatbed, one-ton truck is the big investment for a sideliner, and eventually a forklift - hobbyists are thinking "Whaaaat?"

You'll want to visit several beekeepers' honey rooms before setting up yours, or just decide to take it to someone who does it for the public. Honey equipment is largely dependent on scale of your operation, and entirely unnecessary at first.