Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Smile Bees4U .....Send the searches...

Check your PM .
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

[QUOTE=thinkharder;346319]Stangardener, just making sure you know, but you only use one tablespoon of the solution per gallon of actual feed (syrup).

thanks thinkharder. the reason i double checked on the amount of sugar is because everything i add hbh to has sugar in it already. syrup is already full of sugar and so are my patties. i was given a quart of hbh earlier in the year and when it's gone this fall i'll make my own. i've listened to two large bee producers who would never bother with the product in the past say it's helped their bees. right now i'm adding it to patties but not syrup. in my experiance their is more chance of robbing with it in syrup.
    all that is gold does not glitter

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Check your PM .
    Ernie
    Sorry Ernie it ended up being you, but it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I am adding to the posting rules the following:

Do not post messages that instruct other members to check their Private Messages or inform them that a PM was sent. If you need to communicate with another member about their PM's, PM them or send them an email.
    Regards, Barry

Default Sorry Ernie it ended up being you, but it was bound to happen sooner or later

Barry,
    It's ok!
    I will use the alternate route.
    Thanks
    Ernie
    Ernie

Two Questions.....

Who has a good price on HBH....?

And where can I get some Critic acid ....?

Default Thanks, for the input

Hello everyone, Thanks for the input.

I left the day after posting the question about HBH, and just reviewed all 44 posts and am a lot smarter for it.

I will be mixing up some batches to add to syrup and pollen patties. I believe adding this to the mix will greatly help. More and more I feel like a feed lot operator, but if it works I am for it.

I took a 10 day tour with family looking at honey country in Idaho, Montana, Utah & Wyoming. America is BIG!!! and beautiful. Managed to catch some trout in the Salmon ID area. My six and 1/2 year old daughter caught her first trout, 13" and delicious.

If anyone is aware of beekeepping operations for sale in these states I would be interested to know about it.

Thanks again,

Larry Pender
    Camarillo, CA

Larr

You were in all those areas and didn't visit Colorado???

Default Prices?

Here is what I was quoted from my local store. How do these prices sound?

lecithin granules 12 oz $12.30 I know this one is a little high
    spearmint oil .5oz $5.15
    lemongrass oil .5oz $4.75
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Wink The Voice

You were in all those areas and didn't visit Colorado???

Alpha6, I thought about it, but I heard a voice in my head that said "Go west young man". The voice got louder after day 7 on the road when I realized it was not in my head but the passanger seat and she (wife) did not have the look of love in her eyes. So I listened to the voice and we are home.

Larry

Smile The Voice

Ahhhhhhhh. The voice of matramonial bliss!
    Let's get this thing right. You drop a ? on us and then go on vacation.
    You missed all the fun we had doing your work.
    Ernie
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    General Purpose Essential Oil Mixture

A well known commercially available general purpose essential oil product for bees that is similar to the following recipe claims many benefits even though many of those claims have yet to be proven. The following recipe should work about as well as that product and is way cheaper. It can be added in small quantities to feed to encourage feeding. It has been known to occasionally cause robbing behavior due to its great appeal to bees.

> 5 cups water
    > 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
    > 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
    > 15 drops spearmint oil
    > 15 drops lemongrass oil

Bring the water to a boil and stir in the sugar until it is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir the mixture thoroughly. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using.
    I made this to the tee tonight. The Lecithin did not totally dissove. Is this normal/ok.

I had a little left over and it smelt great so I had to try it. First a finger dip. Then one of my daughters chicken nuggets into it. Pretty.....Pretty......Pretty Good
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Careful....next you will be out sucking on flowers trying to get nectar out of them.

I have many years experience as a commercial candy maker. Lecithin granules are a pain to disolve. In recipes where it did not matter, we used liquid lecithin (lecithin already disolved in oil). Has anybody tried this? You can buy liquid lecithin at a bakery supply or health food store.

Tom

Default Lecithin granules

Bring a small pan of water to a vigorous boil....pour lecithin granules into boiling water and whisk vigriously......when cool, you can add to your sugar mix. Remember, this is just an emulsifier for adding your oils to a "COOL" sugar mix so they don't evaporate.

John

That's the route I finally went after having trouble with the granules not dissolving. I made enough to last for years, I keep it in the refrigerator.

I used to spray it on all my new PC so the bees would take to it faster, I don't bother with it anymore.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I see the amounts listed for mixing up ready to feed sryup. Has anyone figured up the amounts to make pure mixes to then be added to feed. By the cost of the oils, and other stuff in HBH, there has to be some filler ,i.e. water added into making say 5 gallons of HBH, has anyone calculated these amounts?
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

HBH is 5%lenongrass oil, and 5% spearmint oil. The other 90% is sugar water. To make a gallon of it you put 6.5 oz. of each oil in a gallon of water. That gallon of hbh will treat 200 gallons of syrup. That will feed 100 hives at the recomended rate.
    As you can see, you are going to need a whole lot more than 15 drops of this and that to treat a commercial outfit. Most of us commercial beeks buy our oil gallons at a time. I do not think the guy asking about prices of 1/2 oz. bottles of oil is on the right forum.

Default HBH in fluid ounces

6.5 fluid ounces =
    30 ml/ fluid ounce X 6.5 = 195 ml of Lemongrass oil

195 ml of lemongraas oil + 195 ml of spearmint oil = 390 ml

Now we need to add the emulsifier. I estimate it to be at least one teaspoon of the dry granules.

I add the SLS as needed.

Please correct my math or application.
    Thanks!
    Ernie lucas Apiaries
    Ernie

Ernie;

I add the SLS as needed.

Where do you buy the SLS?

Thanks,
    Dan

Thanks guys, that's what i was needed to be sure of, when mixing up feed for 4 or 5 totes of 200 gallons of sryup and not over use the additives, since even doing your own is not cheap with the lemon grass and spearmint in large amounts used.
    Where there are fruits and nuts there are beekeepers!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast