Thread: cappings basket

Default cappings basket

I am building a cappings extractor. How fine of mesh or small can holes be in this basket? I found a alum basket that has 1/16 holes in it. Is this too small for a cappings basket?

that should work especially if you are straining your honey has it comes out of the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by kyfarmer View Post
    I am building a cappings extractor. How fine of mesh or small can holes be in this basket? I found a alum basket that has 1/16 holes in it. Is this too small for a cappings basket?
    This begs the question: Is there a reaction that can occur between aluminum and honey? I know that when I make cheese, the acids in fresh milk (around PH 6.7 -- slightly acid) can react with an aluminum heating vessel, so I only use stainless steel when heating and adding cultures. Honey's PH averages 3.9 (range is 3.4-6.1), making it as acid as orange juice, some vinegars and a bit more acid than tomato juice. Will this be a problem when in contact with aluminum?

MM

I don't know the pH of honey. Thanks for mentioning that. I will check the pH of some botled honey later today. If I use this basket as an extractor basket, not the type that hangs over an uncapping tank, would honey stay in it long enough to react? I am planning on spinning the basket, then melting the remainng cappings.

The holes in my Dadant Capping basket appear to be about an 1/8th of an inch each.