Default Apiguard questions

For those who have used it, I was wondering:

1. I have top entrances on my hives made by placing shims under the front of the inner cover. Do I need to remove them while I treat?

2. Do I really need to use the tray, or can I scoop the gel out and just spread it onto the top of the frames? (so I won't need a spacer)

3. The instructions say to place the trays on top of the brood frames. If I have two deeps of brood, should I still go to the top, or to the top of the bottom box.

Thanks. I hope these questions aren't too redundant-

If the top deep is solid honey you'll probably want to remove it to get closer to the brood nest.

Use the tray, leave the shim in as a spacer and close off the upper entrance with duct tape. I'm thinking something like an Imirie shim, otherwise you'll want an empty super or something for a spacer.

Just my $.02

I agree with dcross, you need some space to allow for evaporation. Also if you have screened bottom boards you need to close them off.

Patrick
    "To escape criticism-do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

Lightbulb I wouldn't put it directly on the frames

it will soak in and you will have some of that smell in your honey after you put those supers back on. I have good luck putting it on a square of freezer paper or wax papaer right on top of the frames. I put a scoop of the Apiguard right on top of that, then close the hive back up. The bees will chew that up and remove it and you won't have to return to the hive to take out that aluminum square Apiguard sends with the buckets. I hope that helps! -Danno

I put a scoop of the Apiguard right on top of that, then close the hive back up. The bees will chew that up and remove it and you won't have to return to the hive to take out that aluminum square Apiguard sends with the buckets.
    Thanks. I'll try that.